Permitted Development Bungalow

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Right here it goes.

I live in a bungalow to which an upstairs with dormers was added is the 70s. There is also a rear sloped roof extension and a small flat roof extension to the rear and covering half the width. I want to knock down these smaller ones and build one back a further 7m from the original house under permitted development. I plan on following the line of the existing ridge and eaves and internally it will all be one open space so just single story.

The problem is that if I class it as single story the ridge limit it 4m and currently the ridge is 5.5m Can I class it as a two story or is there a special category??

Attachments

• IMG_5984.JPG
    IMG_5984.JPG
    162.8 KB · Views: 237
  • IMG_5985.JPG
    IMG_5985.JPG
    182.4 KB · Views: 185
Sponsored Links
You can only class it as what ever it is. A two storey has two floors.

If it won't conform to PD, then why can't you just apply for what you want?

There's a house next door, and that might make it easier to gain permission to extend the house upwards, rather than along.. Keep the outside space with a bit of bungalow gobbling

As its detached you can extend up to 8 metres using the neighbour consultation scheme. As a consequence a recent court ruling it may be possible to keep the existing extension and extend back from it up to 8 metres. If you want additional height to make the extension two storey then as per woody an application may be required, because of the depth you want.. Though look into that court case, as it may allow you to erect a 3m extension onto the existing extensions to give you your 7m desired room at two storeys, then remove the floor later making it one storey

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back