Is this permitted development?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, does this count as permitted Development? I’ve read the rules over and over. It’s 3.95m to the ridge, 4m out from the rear wall and 2.6m to the eaves. I’m just not sure about the utility on the back of the garage (garage is original) many thanks

Sponsored Links
Assuming the property is detached and the extension eaves height is not higher than original then I would say it is PD.

If the garage is original then it should be classed as part of the "dwelling" and therefore it is a rear extension and seems to meet all the criteria for a permitted development rear extension.

Sponsored Links
That’s good to know. A friend of mine had an extension built last year that was permitted Development. That was build 6m out on a detached house, going the full width of the rear of the house.

we’ve had a planning enforcement officer saying it doesn’t comply with permitted Development as the extension is more than half the width of the bungalow (I thought that was only on side extensions) I’ve read and re read many times this https://assets.publishing.service.g...e/830643/190910_Tech_Guide_for_publishing.pdf I can’t see a reason why it won’t comply. The planning officer is going to highlight the section and email me it tomorrow.

That’s good to know. A friend of mine had an extension built last year that was permitted Development. That was build 6m out on a detached house, going the full width of the rear of the house.

we’ve had a planning enforcement officer saying it doesn’t comply with permitted Development as the extension is more than half the width of the bungalow (I thought that was only on side extensions) I’ve read and re read many times the 50 page PD rules on the gov website. I can’t see a reason why it won’t comply. The planning officer is going to highlight the section and email me it tomorrow.

Read more: https://www.diynot.com/diy/threads/is-this-permitted-development.586331/#ixzz7KEY3d6Et

As you are also extending off the side of the garage it would need to meet all of the criterea for a 'side extension' as well as a 'rear extension'. And as Mr Planner has pointed out it's non compliant as it's too wide.

But with the garage been part of the original dwelling then surely it’s just a rear extension?

Ours is stepped the opposite way, the garage is originally set further back from the rear of the bungalow. On page 23 the steps are forward if you get what I mean?

The first doodle I’ve uploaded is like the example in page 23 but ours is the the 2nd doodle. Is it the same thing? I’m genuinely confused. Are you saying If I didn’t build behind the garage then it would be PD but because I’m building behind the garage then that’s why it doesn’t comply?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    159.4 KB · Views: 80
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    188.2 KB · Views: 79

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back