Permitted Development -which class?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am doing some research related to an earlier post on here but this is a different question. My neighbour has an outbuilding the side wall of which is on our boundary. It is separate to the main house (just a couple of metres) but is, as far as I can tell, was classed as an outbuilding (Class E).

If he was to develop this single storey garage/summer house by adding a mansard roof, would that be considered as a Class E or a B or C roof alteration under the 2008 SI2362 covering permitted development?

He has applied for planning permision but I am keen to understand what it would have been under Permitted Development? It would exceed all parameters for PD, but I need to know how the planners would classify it.

Sponsored Links
It is either PD or not. There is no inbetween or mixing of the two. If it were an outbuilding then the rules relating to outbuildings (Class E) would apply. Since it is not within PD limits then a full application is required and PD rules are irrelevant.

thanks jeds, I sort of anticipated a reply like that - you are absolutely correct. What I'm trying to do is prepare a comparison between the proposal for which he is seeking permission and the permitted development rights which would mean he didn't need to apply. I think I should just forget the fact the the building is already there and just draw attention to the size, height, scale, eaves, boundary etc. as if it were a new build. The fact that it has already exceeded PD rights is hopefully in my favour as an objector anyway. I shall compare the 2008 PD rights with the proposal and hope the planning department sees sense!

Sponsored Links
I think that's the right approach. Treat it as though it is an application for a new building needing planning permission and don't confuse between PD rights. Of course if the application is refused then the neighbour could always reduce the building but maybe that will be better for you anyway.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back