Permitted development flat/pitched roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am planning to put a pitched roof on an existing ugly flat-roofed two-storey extension to my house. The extension is on the principal elevation and the propsed roof ridge will be lower than the original/main roof ridge. I assumed this was PD under Class B (Permitted Development) but am being told by the local planners that because the work is on an extension, I must apply for full planning consent. I cannot see anything in the GPDO Technical Guidance that states this. Has anyone experienced anything similar or has knowledge of whether the planners are right or wrong?

Sponsored Links
It would be classed as a front extension and as such would need permission. In my experience if you are improving the overall appearance at the front then there is a god chance of it being approved.

The extension is not new - it was built, with planning consent in the 1980s. The planning application was made then because it was at the front and even projected slightly in front of the original building line. What I am proposing is just to put a pitched roof on it (which I guess the 1980s owners did not wish to spend money on). Do you feel this would not qualify as Class B?

Sponsored Links
The original consent was for a flat roof so my assumption was that as that had been given formal planning permission, the whole building would still be subject to PD rights and changing the 'approved' flat roof to a pitched roof would be OK.

It would need planning permission, because the whole work (ie existing extension + new roof) woud be regarded as one extension.

But as above, it would be highly unlikely to be refused.

The original consent was for a flat roof so my assumption was that as that had been given formal planning permission, the whole building would still be subject to PD rights and changing the 'approved' flat roof to a pitched roof would be OK.
I really don't understand why you think it would not need PP, extract from the tech guidance to which you yourself refer:

Class B

This provides permitted development rights for the enlargement of a house consisting of an addition or alteration to its roof.

Under Class B the following limits and conditions apply:

B.1 Development is not permitted by Class B if –

(b) any part of the dwellinghouse would, as a result of the works, extend beyond the plane of any existing roof slope which forms the principal elevation of the dwellinghouse and fronts a highway.

The effect of this is that dormer windows as part of a loft conversion, or any other enlargement of the roof space, are not permitted development on a principal elevation that fronts a highway and will therefore require an application for planning permission.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back