Shed Wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Just a quick question regarding some shed wiring.

The house has a brick shed which is adjoined to the house. Currently an extension lead runs through a hole drilled in a wall.

What I plan to do is to extend the ring main from the house into the shed. Is this acceptable?

I cannot easily get to the consumer unit, hence I am thinking of simply extending the ring and the lighting circuit through the wall into the shed.

Thanks
DJDUNKY

Sponsored Links
So long as it's done correctly & safely then tested & certificated, you dont have a problem.

Whats wrong with the extension lead?

I ask because it is always recommended to have external electrics seperate from house electrics. Extending the ring main means it cannot be easily isolated. You cannot simply put a switch in it. The extension lead is preferable in my opinion, as you can unplug it if it starts to trip the RCD etc.

Sponsored Links
Nothing wrong with an extension lead but want to put about 3 metal clad double sockets in opposite corners of the shed. Hence why I thought it would be better to simply extend the ring through the wall and also with the lighting.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back