Shed Workshop Extension Cable?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to use a shed as a workshop. I understand there's regulations about running electricity to it. If I use an extension cable plugged in at the house is this acceptable without permission? I'd be running a light and a small power unit.

Alternatively I've thought about setting up an external plug socket (there's an external box that I could wire into. And running a plugged extension cable from here to the shed?

Sponsored Links
Its not really 'permission' that you need, it is ensuring that whatever you use is safe.
How far is your shed from the power supply and how often will you be using the power in there? Would the cable be crossing a public footpath or a back lane or just your garden?
More than 20 metres and life gets tricky- 2.5mm flexible cable will start hitting load limits and volt drop, depending on what your small power unit might be?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back