Shed/workshop replacement

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, so, I currently have a shed/workshop in the garden which is in pretty poor shape. I'm getting sick of doing repairs to it now and want to replace it with something a bit bigger and more suitable. I intend on building something to fit the space, which I've measured up to come to 14 square meters and will be sticking to the 2.5 height limit so I know I'm all good on the planning/generic building regs front but I am worried about part p and finding it a nightmare to navigate.
The current shed has power. I'm guessing it was done prior to part p being introduced as the run from the house isn't swa - it's normal cable, although it is in some sort of metal conduit which is attached to a fence (although, other than that, it looks pretty good to me - the cable run looks to be 10mm at a glance and the mcb on the main consumer unit is 40a. It runs from the house into a seperate, secondary, consumer unit which is rcd protected and has 2mcbs - 1 rated at 6a for the lighting circuit and one rated at 32a for the socket one. So, I have a couple of questions. First, if I wanted to replace the run of cable from the house up to the shed with 10mm swa would this be notifiable with it just being replacing something that's already there? I'm thinking I could dig a trench for the swa run and splice it in appropriate weatherproof junction boxes at either end (where the current unarmoured leaves the house, then do the same at the other end once I've built a new workshop and resited the secondary consumer unit). Secondly, given that it's technically not a new circuit, can I then wire up the radial lighting and socket circuits in the new workshop building myself off of that existing circuit aswell, without it being notifiable?
Trying to navigate part p is just driving me loopy and I don't want to fall foul should I go ahead with a build and a planner/inspector rock up at some point.
Is it just a case of 'don't eff about with the household consumer unit (installing a new circuit) and with anything in a bathroom' like I keep seeing as the basic guide, or are there specific regulations governing outbuildings in the part p framework? I'm confident I can do the work myself to a very good standard so don't want to end up forking over half a months wages to a spark to do if I don't need the piece of paper that he comes with.

Sponsored Links
Outside power is not a DIY job and, not wishing to be rude, from what you have asked it is clear you need someone who knows what they are doing.

not sure if you are allowed to do it or not, but I should just point out earthing arrangements are not that straight forward for outside buildings -for example do you know what type of earth the house has and have you assessed whether you are exporting the earth or not? If exprtong are you using the armour as an earth or are you using one of the conductors in the cable

but I am worried about part p and finding it a nightmare to navigate.

This is Part P:

PP.png

Sponsored Links
@flameport is correct for England, the actual law says very little. @EFLImpudence and @Notch7 are also correct, however personally I feel just saying not a DIY job is not really helpful, as to be frank it does not seem that hard of a job, until you start reading acticials like this one, do note rather old there have been rule changes since then. The material the shed is made of matters on broken PEN is one of the considerations when putting a supply into an outbuilding, and the problem is getting worse
1709673903762.jpeg

With a wooden shed it is unlikely to present a problem, with a steel shed it will. Note in Wales it would be a notifiable job, but personally could not care less about the law, more concerned about your safety.

Outside power is not a DIY job and, not wishing to be rude, from what you have asked it is clear you need someone who knows what they are doing.
I'm not sure what you mean. I haven't done anything to need anyone - I'm just after advice and trying to think ahead before making the call on whether I fully demolish and replace the workshop or not. The power to the existing workshop is already there.

I'm not sure what you mean. I haven't done anything to need anyone - I'm just after advice and trying to think ahead before making the call on whether I fully demolish and replace the workshop or not. The power to the existing workshop is already there.
Then demolish the old and put up a new one, using the existing power. It's an existing circuit.

If you want to change the power feed to SWA, etc. I echo @EFLImpudence comment

Then demolish the old and put up a new one, using the existing power. It's an existing circuit.

If you want to change the power feed to SWA, etc. I echo @EFLImpudence comment

I'd be allowed to legitimately reuse that existing circuit for a new building then, so long as I don't splice a section of SWA into it?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back