SHED

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I would like to build my own shed...any advice for finding plans and the sort of materials to use? I would like to use at least 15mm (or 18mm) board if possible.

Sponsored Links
Thanks - happy to have it anywhere from 7x5 to 12x12 as we have plenty of space for it.

it would depend on the type of shed you're after, what orientation, what roof style, where you want the windows and doors etc..

if you're quite handy with a saw and a hammer then it's just basic framing...

I like playing with sketchup at the minute, so if you give me a size you want, and a photo / sketch of the plot I can do you some plans..

Sponsored Links
ok, so shed 101..

over engineered probably.. but it should last you a long time that way.. :)

Base frame..

with no info to go on I've assumed a 12'x8' shed ( or 3660 x 2440 as I'm doing it in metric )

for the base frame you will need the following timber. ( prices + sizes from wickes online site.. )

6 off 2400 x 120 x 45 pressure treated ( prod. code: 166360 ) = £7.89ea
7 off 3600 x 120 x 45 pressure treated ( prod. code: 166362 ) = £10.99ea
3 off 2440 x 1220 x 18 exterior plywood ( prod. code: 110037 ) = £35.49ea

so for the floor alone you're looking at £230.74p at wickes prices.. ( will likely be cheaper if sourced from timber merchants.. ) and that's not including delivery or other things like nails, blocks ( to sit the frame on ), joist hangers, screws etc..

make up 3 frames using 120 x 45mm pressure treated using the dimensions shown ( if using timber sizes other than 120 x 45 then adjust the sizes as needed. ), using joist hangers if you want added strength.
View media item 23692
place these on the supporting blocks you've placed ( one at each corner and one mid span on the long sides, the middle blocks will support 2 frames.. ), and level them and screw , bolt them together.

View media item 23693
square them up using the corner to corner trick ( measure diagonally and adjust until both diagonals are the same. ), fix into position ( angle bracket to the blocks etc ) and then glue and screw the plywood floor down.

View media item 23694
you now have a sturdy floor to your shed..

I'll get to the walls later on.. need door locations etc..

sketchup is extremely easy, especially if you've ever used things like unrealed or the half life editors..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back