Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

We recently bought a new summer house and now that the heavy and windswept rain is upon us there's damp coming through on the corners and also bottom edges. I've sealed the narrow spaces on the outside joins with a weather sealant but still the corners are showing damp.

I wonder if this is normal? My experience with sheds, etc., is basically zero and I'm just thinking that the rain is actually soaking through the wood. The construction is tongue and groove and the roof is sound.

Attachments

• shed1.jpg
    shed1.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 94
  • shed2.jpg
    shed2.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 87
  • shed1.jpg
    shed1.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 93
  • shed2.jpg
    shed2.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 90
Sponsored Links
Have you applied any finish to the outside?
Or are you just relying on the Tanalised wood treatment?

Thanks for the reply. The summer house is new. I've already got the Cuprinol paint but was planning to protect it with that next April rather paint it now to see it battered through winter and have to paint it again. Perhaps I should have a re-think on that though? I thought the tanalised wood treatment would be enough for now, nobody else seems to paint their sheds around here.

I would treat it when you get A dry day.

Tanalised treatment doesn’t stop the wood getting wet, it helps stop rot.

Wet wood and no ventilation can accelerate rot.

Sponsored Links
A bit of damp in a wooden structure is not unusual and the amount shown on your pictures isn't much to worry about.
You could always try using a dehumidifier for a week to see if that helps but at this time of year your options are limited as far as wood treatment goes. A new shed will 'sweat' as it gets used to its surroundings so don't work a nerve just yet, is my advice.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back