sheeps wool between rafter insulation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi - would appreiciate any advice on this one.

Getting ready to insulate vaulted ceiling of kitchen extension. We are going to use multifoil on underside of rafters, but reluctant to use cellotex type board or rockwool type product between rafters (my dad reacts to them).

I'm having problems finding comparisons for u-values etc. if we used sheeps wool, as to what thickness we would need? Also because of breathability of it would you need an air gap, or could we do full-fill(we have 6" rafters)?

I also once saw a product that was a non itchy, batt that was squishable, so that you got a really good seal against rafters - any idea? I can't find info on it again now!

Thanks in advance for any help!

Sponsored Links
hi - thanks for the response - apparently sheeps wool self extinguishes, so doesn't catch fire

True, wool insulation doesn't burn unless the whole building is a huge blazing inferno. On the whole animal fibres smoulder then go out on their own.
I have installed lambswool insulation in the past and if I recall in came in slabs about 3" thick. Nice to work with ,doesn't itch, smells nice and you can even lie down on it for a nap, er if you want.
It is quite akward to cut we ended up using a sort of bread knife.
A word about the ventilation. Ventilation is generally a good thing in any roof however I'd be very careful to fit insect mesh on ALL ventilation points. We fitted wool to Stowe house (a public school) in Buckinhamshire around 6 or 7 years ago but a few years later they suffered an infestation of moths nesting in the wool and it all had to be ripped out and replaced with fibreglass. Luckily for me I wasn't involved in that part of the job.

Sponsored Links
Thanks ladylola - thats really good advice, as our roof design does have open eaves!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back