Sheet insulation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, I'm boarding and insulating my loft to use for storage only. I will be storing a lot of books and other paper, as well as the usual junk, so I am to insulate the rafters not the joists. I have found 'wool' to be quite messy in the past, it leaves a deposit, it probably over performs for my needs, and it makes me itch! However, I have been told that there is a thin sheeting that may be tacked to the front edge of the rafters,
supplied in rolls. I am told that it is very expensive! Wickes sell a cheap version, it's a bit like foil backed bubble wrap, sometimes used behind rads. Does anyone know anything about this stuff? Is it a waste of money for loft insulation, or will it do a reasonable job? I'm not looking for the best result in terms of insulation, I just want a well ventilated loft which won't suffer extremes of temperature. :eek:

Sponsored Links
You cannot have insulated in ceiling joists and roof rafter as well, only one or the other.

See Pal links and they are okay providing you leave at least 50mm gap top & bottom for air flow circulation otherwise you'll risk condensation. The problem with these type, my own opinion is they tend to keep heat in and could find your loft ending up like a sauna.

Is the loft well ventilated ?, if not you should looking to put in extra air vents, they are many ways of doing it.

ps: another cheapest way would be to put moisture vapour sheets as they do in shed/summerhouse internel panel.

Sponsored Links
Thankyou Pal and Masona, you've both been very helpful. The loft is drafty, and will breath quite well if I use the stuff on the link. I like the idea of it being a dust free solution, unlike rockwool slabs. I dread to think what will happen to TV reception though (roof aerial) but that's another day. :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back