Shelf

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am looking to make a shelf to span a 2.4m window supported each side on wooden Corbels. Shelf will be 20 cm wide. Would 25mm mdf be rigid enough or would i need something thicker.

Sponsored Links
Personally I'd rather go for something like 38mm (1-1/2in) or thicker softwood for the corbels and 25mm or thicker softwood for the shelf. At 2.4 metres, though that shelf will need a fair amount of additional support such as sitting on top of an architrave or using inverted angle brackets (if needs be recessed into the underside of the shelf and buried beneath the plaster to the rear of the shelf). If you'd like to see for yourself how much saw there is in a shelf like that (without intermediate support) then key the figures into the Sagulator

As the corbels will sit either side, there obviously isn't an chance of getting one (at least) in the middle, so MDF is completely out, and even 38mm might deflect on that width. It's possible that you could fit an angle bracket on the top side of the shelf, rather than the bottom,

As the corbels will sit either side, there obviously isn't an chance of getting one (at least) in the middle, so MDF is completely out, and even 38mm might deflect on that width. It's possible that you could fit an angle bracket on the top side of the shelf, rather than the bottom,
I was thinking maybe a bracket mid span on top. The bottom is not possible as shelf will be running along top of window opening. Might need to look at some planed 50mm timber. My Corbels are 300mm high x 200mm projection x 94mm wide. The Sagulator says 25mm MDF on that span and depth ACCEPTABLE

Attachments

• The Sagulator – WoodBin.png
    The Sagulator – WoodBin.png
    50.6 KB · Views: 75
Sponsored Links
But you've typed in 25 centimetres for the thickness, change it to 2.5 and try again.
Oh yeah! OK back to the drawing board lol Although shelf load will be negligible just a few decorative items (glass)

If you put a 2x1 on the front edge ( above or below) then you can use thinner shelf.

cornice will sag you need timber
mdf/chipboard etc has no grain to give strength

If you put a 2x1 on the front edge ( above or below) then you can use thinner shelf.
Probably to put it along the back edge like a sort of upstand. That would add rigidity as well as giving the OP something to fix through into the wall behind

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back