shelves on false wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to move my cookery book shelves in the kitchen. The only place for them to go is with the long side on a false wall and the short side on a brick wall. The false wall is about 1cm thick, goes floor to ceiling and made of chip board. Shelves are 1in thick solid pine windowsills approx 80cm long. Bursting with cookery books.

Will the wall be strong enough?

Sponsored Links
Unlikely, chipboard that thin can hardly carry its own weight.

Your best bet might be to fit a horizontal back plate say 150 to 200 deep for the full length of your intended shelf. This will/should span at least 2 of the fixings that the cr4pboard is fixed to and so distribute shelf load into the structure.

Your shelf can then rest on the backplate with brackets screwed into it.

Like the backplate idea.

If you were using suitably thick ply, would you consider routing a rebate across the width for the shelves to sit in rather than using brackets.

The shelves are solid pine so shouldn't need support across the front over that distance...

"Bursting with cookery books" so maybe brackets will be needed. These could be stylish pair of "triangles" of whatever material the shelf or backboard is made from

Sponsored Links
How is the chipboard fixed, cannot be a floating wall so must have fixings? rather strange to have chipboard for walls? Must be a fire hazard.

Jackrae - Sorry I'm not sure what you mean by a backplate. Could you describe how to do it please? (imagine you're talking to a complete DIY dunce...!)

Foxhole - I'm not sure how it's fixed as it was already here when we moved. It's to box in the fuse cupboard and electric meter, but is the full height of the kitchen and takes up almost half the width of the wall. Did I say the previous owners were very good at botching?!

The backplace is a length of board that is almost the same length and thickness of the shelf you intend to fit. It can be as wide as needed to suit your shelf brackets. The backplate is fitted flat to the wall with its upper surface at the height you want the shelf. You then fit brackets to the backplate with the top of the bracket flush with the top of the backplate such that the shelf will lie on the backplate and brackets.

The intent of the backplate is to provide secure fixings into the wall wherever you can find a solid fixing point so that the shelf brackets can be fitted where you want them to look decent.

In effect the shelf plus the backplate together make an L-shape with one side of the L fixed flat against the wall.

I I
I I
I_I

Thanks! I understand it now. I'm sure I can manage that, as long as I can find where the chip is attached to something stronger!

Jackrae - Sorry I'm not sure what you mean by a backplate. Could you describe how to do it please? (imagine you're talking to a complete DIY dunce...!)

Foxhole - I'm not sure how it's fixed as it was already here when we moved. It's to box in the fuse cupboard and electric meter, but is the full height of the kitchen and takes up almost half the width of the wall. Did I say the previous owners were very good at botching?!
Needs to be overboarded with plasterboard. lf board is well fixed well then be ok for fixing shelving too.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back