Shelves onto plasterboard / tile

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

We're looking at putting some shelves up in the bathroom, however the size and style we (she!) wants doesn't match up with the wall studs. I'm dubious about putting them in onto the tile and plasterboard behind but can someone tell me if it is ok, and if so what's the best way to do it?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Use "toggle" bolts.....Check them out and see how they work...There should be a film on you tube that shows you how to use them.. I could explain but it would be quicker for you to check them out,,;)

Last edited:
Whilst looking on Youtube I came across 'snaptoggles':

Are these better? They're about twice the cost, however since I only need 8-10 and Screwfix sell packs of 20 toggle bolts I'll only end up wasting half a pack of those anyway.

Sponsored Links
It's your choice either one will do the job. But remember that you are drilling into a stud wall so you might hit a stud, if you do you can put a wood screw in .put masking tape where you are going to drill the holes and start the drill slowly to get it to bite on the tile then speed it up .Dont forget you will need a masonary drill to go thru the tiles.Good luck.

Tiled wall is much stronger than plain plasterboard, standard plugs give a secure fixing .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back