Shelves - party wall.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I would like to.......my wife wants me to put up some shelves on the party wall.

I am not so keen, whilst I am confindent at putting up shelves, the fact that our neighbour is arsey, and that I am not confident as to how thick our party wall is, makes me very apprehensive.

Our place is the grey property (below) and shelves need to go against the wall shared by the property on the left.

People have said that the party wall is up to 9 inches thick; is this a given? Can I be sure?

What I did do, was measure (at the rear) from their external party wall to our rear window border, and then from their wall (inside) to the same border of the rear window, this gave a difference of 9 cm.

On this basis, can I safely add another 9 cm to the toal thickness?

The screw fixing is about 1.5 inch in length.

Anyway, arsey neighbour, I would notify his more reasonable wife, and/or wait until both are out, but have waited two weeks already.

Many thanks for any kind indication of thickness or method by which I can assure myself that I'd not drill into the neighbours house.

Matt

Sponsored Links
You can fix without problem, no fear of going next door, unless you give my wife a hammer and chisel [but that's another story].

Thanks, confirmation is much appreciated and lol'd at the cable comment.

(oops I should have said property on the right, but I suppose thickness'd be the same on both sides).

Sponsored Links
Tell him to clip his sat cable properly too.
Funny you should mention that... I was wondering why there are cables seemingly coming from that dish/somewhere else across the neighbours house into the OP's property. :confused:

BTW, zyjk, I agree that you have no concerns with the thickness of the wall and don't mean to be nosy, but my pet hate is untidy cables and they jumped out straight away. ;)

Its a mess, I`ll take a pic of my house tomorrow and you work out where the sat cable goes!

I would like to.......my wife wants me to put up some shelves on the party wall.

I am not so keen, whilst I am confindent at putting up shelves, the fact that our neighbour is arsey,

Sounds like my neighbour has a long lost brother!

Mine was round last week doing his pitbull-chewing-a-wasp impression because I was chiselling loose render off my fireplace at 1:30 in the afternoon. He expects me to book a time and duration of work in advance with him and obtain his permission if I do any work.

As far as I know anything between 8am-8pm is perfectly legal and he can do stuff-all about it. I just carried on for another 15 mins until my arm got tired, then completed the job the next morning when he went out.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back