Shelves on lath and plaster wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,

A first for me on the forum, I just wanted to know the best way of putting shelves up on lath and plaster walls? I was hoping for the shelves to hold a reasonable amount of weight.

Thanks, Dan.

Sponsored Links
Unless you can locate the timbers then the walls will not support shelves.

I've managed to find one which is 17 inches from the end of the wall, is this the standard measurement between the timbers? The house is 1940s for reference.

Sponsored Links
The standard these days is 400mm, but yours probably won't be that.
If you have a stud detector, you will be able to locate the studs quite easily.

If not, you might be able to work out where they are just by pushing hard on the wall with your fingers, and finding the bits that don't flex. When you think you've found them, use a small drill bit to make sure.

Another way is to make a finger sized hole and use a bit of wire to poke inside to work out the stud positions.

There is almost certainly a stud at the end of the wall, but sometimes this is not useable because of the adjacent wall.

Good luck.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back