Shelving on Plasterboard

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all

I have a wooden building based on 4" x 2" framing. The inside is plastered. My original intention was to attach flexible shelving strips (slotted angle to screw to the wall with holes to accommodate shelf supports) to the uprights, but cannot find these! I tried a B&Q stud finder but it was terrible. I tried using the pins on the outside wall to gague where the uprights might be. I realised that the uprights are 4" deep in a 7" wall and so are a fair way away from the plasterboard. I know that I could find the wood that the plasterboard is attached to, but without taking the plaster off, I can't think of a way of doing this. I have knocked across the wall, but the insulation really deadens the sound.

So, can anyone suggest...
- A foolproof way of finding some solid wood just under the plasterboard so I can attach the uprights to this; or
- The best way of securing flexible shelving uprights to platerboard in a stud wall. I wanted to put lead on the shelves, but will modify the loading to suit the fixings

Any pointers appreciated

Thanks

Ben

Sponsored Links
If you have skirting boards, you could remove them and have a poke about behind to see if you can locate the studs. Any damage you cause can be repaired and covered when you re-attach the skirting.

IF being the operative word!!

Just poke a thin screwdriver thru the board at 40mm intervals until you hit a stud then caryy on to the next and measure the distance the rest should be at same spacing.Simply fill the small holes a make good.Then you can screw the brackets to the studs.

Sponsored Links
Thanks, all.

Using foxhole's suggestion, I've found an upright. It's 2" from the surface of the plaster. So the supplementary question is this: would it be better to use a 5" screw: 3" in the upright and 2" sat in the plaster; or would it be better to attach to the plaster only? I'd just be worried that the 2" will not be supported and so might be weaker than a shorter screw on plasterboard.

Regards

Ben

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back