Shelving Question (I am dumb)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Very soon I am getting a new kitchen fitted. One of things that I want to for this is move the washing machine out of the kitchen. Mainly because the kitchen is not to big and I want to put a dishwasher in its place as I detest washing dishes :rolleyes: So what I intend on doing is putting the washing machine in the garage, which will obviously involve plumbing etc. The only problem is that my garage is not that big and I still want to get access to the dishwasher and dryer with my car still in the garage using the back door into the garage. To do this I need to stand the dryer on top of the washing machine. Obviously pretty straight forward, but I think I would prefer it if the dryer was actaully stood on something other than the washing machine as I do not like the thought of it maybe falling off with the vibrations from the washing machine onto my car (it probably won't). I have been searching on the net and not having much look. I was wondering are there any shelf supports that can make a shelf that will support a tumble dryer. I guess tumble dryers are not that heavy so it may be possible. Or maybe it is better to make something with legs to give extra support. But whatever it is, it need to be compact as the car just fits in against the tumble dryer, any legs protruding a long way from some kind of table may cause problems. Any ideas please? As I said I am pretty dumb at DIY :oops:

Sponsored Links
Make a frame from 4x2 to go around the washer, with some worktop on top to support the tumble dryer :idea:

I assume that the garage is connected to the house, otherwise its going to get mighty expensive running water and drainage.

You can buy stacking kits.
Have a look on ebay,Home and garden> major appliances>stacking.

Seem to be universal.

Our last washer/drier combination (Zanussi) had the stacking kit - our present pair don't and the tumble drier hasn't fallen off the washer - yet. But then it's only been on top for 6 years so there's still time!

BTW Zanussi washer tops has a small lip round the outside of the top panel

Scrit

Sponsored Links
For a cheap way, how about fixing a couple of screw-in eyes to the wall on either side of the dryer and tying a bit of thin rope around it to stop it travelling forward.

Or

Get a piece of mdf or plywood a bit bigger that the top of the washer, rest it on the washer and then fix the shelf to the wall at the back with a couple of small brackets to stop it moving, fix some strips of timber round the edges of the shelf to form a sort of ledge that will keep the dryer in place.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back