Shifted bricks on one corner of our house. What does this mean?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am wondering wht a surveyor might say about these bricks - in one pic the bottom 2 layer of bricks are jutting out from under the top 2 layers. in the other the top 2 layers are overhanging the bottom 2. Never noticed this before but now thinking of selling. We were going to get the hosue done up and looking ncie before we sell but not sue if worth it if there is movement as we will have to sell at auction or to cash buyers only. worried we won't even be able to sell at all. can anyone offer anyadvice? Please see photos. many many thanks for any advice

Attachments

• IMG_20220919_210352475.jpg
    IMG_20220919_210352475.jpg
    215.1 KB · Views: 108
  • IMG_20220919_210426002.jpg
    IMG_20220919_210426002.jpg
    132.9 KB · Views: 105
Sponsored Links
Keep Calm and carry on, how long has the house stood for?

It's from 1930s! Will a surveyor flag it as an issue topotential buyers? I'm a bit worried that we'll get a buyer then they drop out due to potential movement!

Sponsored Links
Most if not all houses of that age will have some movement in the brickwork, 10mm is nothing to worry about, some new builds are worse, how big is the area where it protrudes?

Most if not all houses of that age will have some movement in the brickwork, 10mm is nothing to worry about, some new builds are worse, how big is the area where it protrudes?
thank you. it's just one corner of the house so there is an 'underbite' a few briks in length on one side of the corner, and an 'overbite' of a few bricks in length on the other side of the corner if that makes sense.

What are we looking at? :unsure:

If it's the weed, I'll ask a mod to move this to the gardening section.

What are we looking at? :unsure:

If it's the weed, I'll ask a mod to move this to the gardening section.
we are looking at a layer of bricks being displaces by about a cm in relation to the bricks on top or below them.

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2022-09-20 at 12.52.19.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2022-09-20 at 12.52.19.jpeg
    291.3 KB · Views: 40
A common recommendation with something like that is to check for expansion of the floor slab - generally if in an area knows sulphates in the fill and a concrete floor. And it looks like it has had a repair and there is some further movement there

Best thing to do is blend some red paint in and then make it look dirty like it's been painted a long time. Place some random thing that is uninviting to touch or move by it to take the eye off the wall

A common recommendation with something like that is to check for expansion of the floor slab - generally if in an area knows sulphates in the fill and a concrete floor. And it looks like it has had a repair and there is some further movement there

Best thing to do is blend some red paint in and then make it look dirty like it's been painted a long time. Place some random thing that is uninviting to touch or move by it to take the eye off the wall
thank you. yes I thought it looked like there was a repair - there is mortar in some parts that follows the shape of the bricks - I think.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back