Shiny patches after filling, sanding & repainting!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello fellow DIYers

I've been repairing knocks and scratches on painted plastered walls by filling, sanding down then repainting with matt paint.

It looks fine when facing the repairs but when the light catches the walls or ceiling at an angle I can clearly see the patches where the repairs have been done.

How can you get a matching even finish with these repairs?

Many thanks
Mike

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the reply TheVictorian.

I think I used a small foam roller, I will try a medium pile roller instead. However I'd rather not repaint the whole wall if possible but will see if I need to.

Thought it might have been because I was using the wrong type of filler or sanding too hard?!

cheers

Sponsored Links
Its got nothing to do with the roller (although a foam roller on walls is a strange choice). Filler needs to be spot primed to prevent it flashing through the top coat. Water down some matt emulsion by 20-30% and prime the filler.

Filler is more porous than the wall around it so it draws more water out of the paint thus it flashes. Smooth walls - short pile sleeve and if they're a bit lumpy and bumpy then use a medium, its not neccessarily wrong to use a medium on smooth walls but its nice to leave as little pattern from the sleeve as possible on the wall. Wooster pro-dooz are superb.

ajsdoc - yes I'm just painting the repaired areas.

dcdec - ok thanks. I chose the foam roller since for some reason I thought it would be quicker to clean than the normal one! (so what are foam rollers best for by the way?) Thanks for the Wooster pro-dooz recommendation.

I hadn't spot primed the filled in areas so will do that with the next room. For the room I've done already I will try a short (or medium if required) pile roller instead.

cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back