:shock: I NEED PROFESSIONABLE HELP: NEW PAINTED PLASTER

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
:D
Firstly, thank you for your time

I have a serious problem concerning the final finish on my newly plastered walls. the problem is that after the final top coat, i have been left with some areas having a patchy finish when viewed from different angles. when examined up close, these areas looked slightly pitted like small areo holes and looks slightly rough compared to the rest which is smooth.

I will list the steps etc below:

1. new re skim plaster on stairs/hall left bare for 5mths

2. lightly sanded and dusted off

3. sealed with emulsion watered down for mist coat

4. first coat of Dulux Matt emulsion applied with meduim pile Hamilton roller , left to dry 1 day

5. second coat Dulux matt emulsion , everything looked bang on!

6. gloss wood work, then noticed patches at various angles. looks ok head on.
:oops:
7.repainted , still the same. slightly improved

8. lightly sanded patches with wet and dry 400 grade got a real smooth fine finish dusted off , repainted - still the same!
I think the sanded paint was tempory filling the small pitted holes???

I am really lost with this guys. I painted another re skimmed room ,exactly like the above and the result looked really good. SAME PLASTERER aswell.

Its has been suggested to use Zinsser BIN or Zinsser 123 on the patches then repaint. I think BIN is a oil base primer and 123 is water based. i think the 123 would be better as it would match in better with the emulsioned walls?
However, the plasterer is at a lost also and suggested to go over the patches very lightly with easy fill, to fill the tiny pitted patches and then sand and repaint.

I would be Very Very grateful if any one can help with any info on this

THANKS

Steve (the postman NOT a decorator !LOL)

I HAVE ZOOMED IN VERY VERY CLOSE, TO GIVE YOU A GOOD LOOK.

:mrgreen:

Sponsored Links
Hi the fourth picture you have posted shows the problem very well and looks to me like orange peel effect, the cause could be overloading the paint in certain areas, if you have a good solid finish/coverage then after fine sanding the affected area thin the remedial coat slightly this should give you a flawless finish also a medium pile sleeve may encourage overloading so you could try a shorter pile roller sleeve.
hope this helps.

Hi the fourth picture you have posted shows the problem very well and looks to me like orange peel effect, the cause could be overloading the paint in certain areas, if you have a good solid finish/coverage then after fine sanding the affected area thin the remedial coat slightly this should give you a flawless finish also a medium pile sleeve may encourage overloading so you could try a shorter pile roller sleeve.
hope this helps.

Thanks for info
I think you might be right as as I can remember the first coat was fine. I may have overloaded as you have suggested. I have sanded one wall and repainted and it has improved. I will give it another go. Also on areas around doors etc I used small roller medium pile, also Hamilton, and theses areas are spot on? Must be me using the pole and 9" roller which must of caused the orange peel look??

wobble007,

Firstly, thank you for taking the time to send me that message and your request has been confirmed. In the first instance I do not believe your problem to be caused by bad application (orange peel) There are however a number of factors that could be to blame.

For us first try and get a good pic in natural light using way less zoom.

Dec

Sponsored Links
You are using the wrong roller and your paint is too thick.
Thin your paint 5% and use a shorter piled roller.
It's roller stipple.

wobble007,

Firstly, thank you for taking the time to send me that message and your request has been confirmed. In the first instance I do not believe your problem to be caused by bad application (orange peel) There are however a number of factors that could be to blame.

For us first try and get a good pic in natural light using way less zoom.

Dec
hi Dec,
Here are some better pics. I used compact this time, so hope they will help better.
a couple of pics show a good finish around the door arcs etc smooth fine flat finish. The only thing i can think of doing diffferently was that i uses a same roller brand but it was a 6" and of course i didn't use a pole! LOL
Thinking it must be my application, with second coat when using 9" on pole the larger areas?? maybe not enough pressure applied.

It does look a bit like the suede effect that can be a problem on large walls, especially if the conditions are warm.

Dec may have a better reason, but if it is that, I'll stand by the remedy advice in my PM. ;)

Hi wobble007, had a quick look at your photos and think you may have had 2 problems.
The first may have been a too thick a coat of paint and the second is the size of fibre on the roller.

As a rough guide, the finer the roller, the finer the paint finish, however when using a roller it helps if the paint is thinned and I am afraid I have to say I go by how it feels on the day. Hot house or cold, warm and sunny or pouring with rain, thick fog or snow!! All can change how a paint rolls onto a wall and how quick it is going to dry when you have passed over it and it is this that is adjusted by the thinning of the paint.
Your paint may have been a bit thick and not rolled out fully in a few places which gave you the slight heavy paint bubble effect which you would not have noticed until dry and is not resolved with adding further coats on top.
It would need to be rubbed down to smooth out the look, than a repaint, but don't just do a patch as it will show when dry, do the complete section of wall.

The only other thought is, that there may have been a non paint substance on the wall which you may not have seen in your prep.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back