Shocked at Building Reg charges, does this sound right ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a 10sqm con`y i built about 3 years ago and now i want to convert it into a extension and extend the area to another 12sqm, fo this i will be needing planning permission as oit will be extended 5sqm towards a highway, also reason i had to get PP for the con`y in the first place.
Now i will be needing BR and i just worked out it will cost around £1100 in all for an extension upto 30sqm, it will cost me that to build it myself.

This is what it will look like once done, the main seating area is the foot print of the cony as it is now, the rest is the add on to that.

Sponsored Links
You’re saying you can do a self-build Building Regs compliant 12m2 extension for £1100?

Anyway if you are doing this on a ‘Notice’ then depending on the Authority the fees can be steeper than going the ‘Plan Approval and Inspection’ route as they require more inspections, that said £1100 sounds daft, I’ve just checked a few prices down here and for an extension up to 30m2 would be from £567-£740 for doing it on a Notice (which I agree does still seem steep. Are you sure you’re looking at the right figures? Who is your Local Authority?

You’re saying you can do a self-build Building Regs compliant 12m2 extension for £1100?

Anyway if you are doing this on a ‘Notice’ then depending on the Authority the fees can be steeper than going the ‘Plan Approval and Inspection’ route as they require more inspections, that said £1100 sounds daft, I’ve just checked a few prices down here and for an extension up to 30m2 would be from £567-£740 for doing it on a Notice (which I agree does still seem steep. Are you sure you’re looking at the right figures? Who is your Local Authority?

The £1100 to build it is for the materials to extend the con`y and fit a flat roof, unlikley to building regs though as i have been reading and they are in a word `costly` to be done there way.
I am just now starting tp look into what the regs are and what needs to be done and materials used, very hard work to do such a simple thing. My local authority is Bury Manchester.
LOl even £500 sounds a lot for somebody to just look at plans and loom at if its to well. but i would be happy`ish to pay that.

Is it under certain easier regs even if i keep it as a seperate building like the con`y by keeping the external door from the main house to the con`y/extension

Sponsored Links
Frankly you posts aren't too clear to be honest. If you keep the external door in place then you do not need Building Control Approval, though the works still need to comply where relevant.

Frankly you posts aren't too clear to be honest. If you keep the external door in place then you do not need Building Control Approval, though the works still need to comply where relevant.

sorry about that, i am useless at saying what i mean when typing, try to make it short as otherwise it will be a very long winded message, folk dont often like to read to much.

So if i keep the external dividing door then i can build it with just PP and no BR will need to be involved, but need to be built to there compliance.
Therefore the same as i did for the con`y. ?

There is an 18foot wall along the side of the house which is built from prefab concrete section, this is a workshop at the minute, i am guessing if i keep this wall as part of the extension and fully insulated and lined it will not be within the building regs?

I mite be best to see if an inspector will come around and i explain what the plan is, or will this not be advised?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back