SHOCKS from fridge freezer PLEASE HELP!!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ok so a few days ago i noticed my fridge was warm and freezer still ice cold i thought maybe my kid had left the door open and then noticed later on that it was a problem with the fridge. I looked at various forums and followed instruction to other posts similar to mine and it worked. I had to remove the back panel inside my freezer and remove any ice and sit over night switched off.... the next morning I placed the polystyrene back and then the plastic wall and all was ok ... today i cleaned out the draws and gave the inside a little clean down with hot water and alittle bleach nothing major but was plugged in! .... this afternoon my washing machine decided to stop showing an error i will try fix that later and not sure if relevant to this other problem... after machine stopped i carried on cleaning and whilst giving my fridge freezer the usual rub down on the outside i noticed its started shocking me!!! im scared as i have kids that use it a lot so i will tape it up until its fixed .... all i can think of is maybe the wire in the freezer connected to that back wall i moved and screwed back is touching something? i used it all last night with no problems and only got shocks today .... what can i do? the fridge freezer has never done this before .... is the washing machine possibly linked? also to switch of the fridge which i want to do i have to pull the whole thing out and i dont want to touch it .... i can turn the electric off and unplug it tonight once the kids are asleep.

Sponsored Links
just to check; you are in the UK? And the FF is plugged in using a fused 3-pin plug like this? with rectangular pins? probably factory fitted?

TLPT13.JPG

Were you standing on a concrete floor? Not touching a sink, radiator or other metal with your other hand?

How old is the house and the electrical installation?

A photo of your consumer unit ("fusebox") and the cables and other boxes around it would be useful.

Please explain what you mean by "the wire in the freezer connected to that back wall i moved and screwed back."

Hi and thanks so much for the reply ... the floor is tiled and the building is a fairly new build block built roughly 15 yrs ago ... yes i am in the Uk with 3 pin plugs ... when i removed the back plastic back wall/plate to remove ice the wall plate had a wire attached to it im assuming its for the fan or something ... im thinking maybe when i put the wall back that the wire behind might be touching the frame? ... i used a light spray water and bleach solution to wipe the inside down (whilst switched on) with no problems and used that same spray later on for the outside but sprayed a fair bit more and thats when i noticed it was shocking me ... so i was on a tiled floor and it was shocking through the cloth and also to touch and i was wearing socks a little damp as id just cleaned the floor also the sink is at the other side of the room and the closet metal applince near it is the microwave on the next counter but its not touching... i have warned everyone to stay out of the kitchen and im keeping a pair of rubber soled trainers on until i can switch the electrics off ... thanks again bit baffled.

also the fridge freezer is a tall indesit fridge on top freezer below and its roughly 5 yrs old bought from new.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back