Shoddy DIY insulation idea?

JP_

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Had a thought of a temporary DIY insulation solution - I can't do anything proper due to broken hand, and lack of money....

Each side of my fireplace there is signs of damp and mould, most likely condensation on cold walls. The gap on each side is 1m wide, and about 2.5m high. I was thinking, rather than do a proper job, just getting insulation board and cutting to 1m width and shoving it in (with insulation tape to stop moisture getting behind it), and then putting a freestanding bookcase in front of them which will obscure most of it.

So, no battens, no plasterboard, no skimming and painting. The boards will sit away from the wall, sitting against the skirting board and picture rail. Two 1.2m x 2.4m boards will do it.

Basically, 2 of these and 2 of these (about £124 total) - there will be about a 10cm gap each side, and 50cm above, so will need to think about that - maybe a bit of paint direct onto the insulation board will not be noticeable?

It wont cover all problem areas, but will cover up the two largest areas. Is there a flaw in the plan I've not considered?

Sponsored Links
plaster board cheaper than a book case you can stick insu to wall and stick plasterboard to insu

I think the fireplace is working, probably needs a clean.

Cannot DIY plasterboard at the moment due to hand still in recovery. Plus, it will need a bit of decorating to make it look good, which is why I was thinking of shoving insulation board up and hiding it!

Sponsored Links
If the chimney is not capped then rain can be making the walls damp, no point hiding it it, needs resolving .

Hmmm, maybe, although the mould is on the opposite sides to the chimney stack. The stack walls are OK. And the chimney seems mostly dry. But, that may be an issue.
Long term plan is to remove the chimney and do a proper job on the external wall, but I am thinking short term, low cost - and in a way that the insulation can be re-used easily.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back