short stairs materials

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Never build stairs before but knocking through wall on split level house and need to build a short run of three steps. I need to go up around 500mm and want to keep the dept as minimum as possible to avoid eating up floor space in the room.

Plan was to build a frame (4x2) and then use OSB (18MM) for the riser and treads, the top one would be more of a short landing. Then ill probably carpet the whole lot. I wasn't going to bother with a railing (assume at this height not required?)

Should I Overhang the treads or just build flush?

Any tips or advice before I start?

Thnaks

Sponsored Links
Any tips or advice before I start?
Yes. Do the job properly, that is with housed stringers, etc. What you are proposing is nothing more than a DIY bodge job which will eventually creak (from experience of replacing several such "delights" - screwed frames always end up creaking) - so OK for a temporary flight on a building site or for short term use, but that's all

bluebaron said:
Plan was to build a frame (4x2) and then use OSB (18MM) for the riser and treads, the top one would be more of a short landing. Then ill probably carpet the whole lot. I wasn't going to bother with a railing (assume at this height not required?)
TBH OSB is a carp material for making stairs, partly because it isn't exactly flat and you cannot form a step bull-nose properly in it (carpets generally require a bull nose - on square edge risers they seem to wear out faster). 18mm is also very thin for stairs - 22mm MR-MDF is really the bare minimum, 25mm or 28mm even better. The risers need only be 6mm plywood (not MDF as more rigidity is required than MDF can give).

AFAIK a handrail is still a legal requirement, even at this height

bluebaron said:
Should I Overhang the treads or just build flush?
Stairs, even cast concrete ones, are always given an overhang - it makes walking the stairs easier and safer and reduces trip risk. That's why we do it

If your approach were a good one every joiner would do it - but the fact is, they don't

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry, maybe a bit harsh, but making a short flight of stairs properly isn't that hard if you are semi-proficient at woodworking and have some tools. There's also the fact that there are specific legal requirements to meet in terms of the going (angle/tread depth, etc), width, handrail heights, etc. All this information is available on line

Scaffold boards do a great job and are propper wood...cheap router , sander and a saw off you go.

Sponsored Links
If you skills are limited , building three MDF boxes, each smaller than the one below make a sturdy set of steps , 18mm MDF for sides and 22mm for top .

Im pretty proficient at most things but just not really done stairs/steps before. Thanks for advice, ill have a think on how to proceed.

If you skills are limited , building three MDF boxes, each smaller than the one below make a sturdy set of steps , 18mm MDF for sides and 22mm for top .
You can't just build boxes any size you like, y'know - staircase replacement is actually notifiable to Building Control under part K of the building regs, and unless you can show that you are doing a like for like replacement of a non-compliant original stair you have to meet the current regs on rise and going. There is quite a good (and relatively simple) synopsis of the regs here.

86B64F3F-395E-45F9-96C8-6A02FC924E0C.jpeg

Going in this corner

Who said you could ?
No replacement stairs being built?
In that case it's a new installation. They are notifiable and do have to meet the regs for rise and going. Can't see a BCO approving stairs made from boxes with no bannister - three standard steps are about 600mm rise.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back