Shortening Garage Door Rail & chain?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My garage door rail (central one, as there are side ones as well) is a few feet longer than it needs to be - see picture of how far the motor is back from the open door. Also included a picture of the chain for info. For use of the internal space, I'd like to shorten the rail. I'd probably hire someone in to do the work but before I head down that path as I haven't done any work cutting metal, I want to make sure there isn't an obvious reason it wouldn't work. I wouldn't look to move it past the anchoring bracket that is connected to the joist, just up close to that point.

Any issues/concerns on that/reason it wouldn't work? The model is a DC 800T from Cardale, by the looks of it.

And if okay, what sort of tradesperson should I be looking for? Or is it actually a pretty straighforward job / I could buy shorter lengths of tracking and do a swap vs. having to cut, etc? I'm generally one to DIY things and happy to take the time to learn.

Thanks!

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-01-29 at 21.04.48.png
    Screenshot 2023-01-29 at 21.04.48.png
    2.7 MB · Views: 29
  • Screenshot 2023-01-29 at 21.05.08.png
    Screenshot 2023-01-29 at 21.05.08.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 31
Last edited:
Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back