Shotgun stock

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I need to shorten my wooden shotgun stock.
Any advice as to how I should proceed would be most welcome, I don't want to ruin a good piece of wood!!
I do have a slide saw would a suitable blade in this be best, or is a hand tool safer?
Any advice gratefully received.
Cheers
Mike

Sponsored Links
A hacksaw would shorten both the barrels and the stock!

Sponsored Links
Presumably you need the stock shortened where it fits to the shoulder?
A bandsaw would probably be best for a curved cut, but you could get by with a coping saw and patience.
Traditionally internal curves are smoothed with a bobbin sander, but again glasspaper and a file would get you there.
What timber is it - walnut perhaps?
John :)

Presumably you need the stock shortened where it fits to the shoulder?
A bandsaw would probably be best for a curved cut, but you could get by with a coping saw and patience.
Traditionally internal curves are smoothed with a bobbin sander, but again glasspaper and a file would get you there.
What timber is it - walnut perhaps?
John :)
Hi John,
Thanks for the reply.
Not sure of the wood, as you suggest maybe walnut or beech.
It only needs to be a flat cut as I am fitting a recoil pad.
I think I am in favour of a fine cut hand saw.
What do you think?
Cheers
Mike

If it is a straight gut you are after, do it on a machine.

You are likely to get 'tear-out' on the upcut though so be prepared for some sanding.

If it already has a recoil pad fitted, so the end of the stock is already flat, you could use a cutting gauge (or a marking gauge with the pin filed to a blade) to mark the cut line. You could then cut just on the waste side of the line with a reasonably fine tenon saw. Should give you minimum break out, as the outer fibres of the wood will already be cut. Clean the sawn end up with a finely set, sharp plane. Either a block plane or (I'd use) a smoothing plane. Work in from the edges to avoid break out.
It all depends on your level of skill really. I'm not a fan of using power tools or machines for fine work, particularly for making mods to already finished pieces, although used correctly they can give the most accurate results.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back