Should Fascia companies use ladders

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, we are looking at having our gutters & fascias replaced. I have had a few quotes (All very different).
One company (Fascia Wise) have quoted us who seem quite cheap compared to others. But ive seen them working on a couple of houses on the estate and the use ladders not scaffold.
Ive been told it is my responsibility as the house owner to make sure anyone working on my house uses the correct safety/access equipment.
Does anyone know wants the correct way?
Ive added a photo.
Thanks

Sponsored Links
If you employ a professional company and they do not conform to safety regs I don't see it is your fault.

Having said that I had soffits fitted and the guys used ladders and cut safety procedures by not wearing dust protection (I knew it was not asbestos because I had had it tested but they didn't) we had words about that and chucking the stuff everywhere.

Next day they were masked up and took all panels out intact but I should have been warned that they were a bit casual as the other two quotes made a point of saying they used scaffolding this guy did not mention it and I never thought to ask.
We had to have him back twice to sort things out it's ok now but the ladder thing might be an indication of the company.

The equipment the contractors use or omit to use has nothing to do with the homeowner!

If they are overcladding it is perfectly doable though slightly unprofessional using only ladders.

Full replacement roofline needs scaffolding.

Thats how theses guys can undercut the more professional outfits.

Sponsored Links
Get a method statement drawn up to hold them accountable. Soon hse will insist on window cleaners using a scaff! Site works not worth the aggro nowadays due to health and safety.

ive seen 2 guys who do a really good job, they use about 6/7 sets of ladders and they do a great job, imo it depends whos on the ladder, if they are experienced on ladders then they can get the job done, its when a young lad or inexperienced labourer makes a mistake it can be a nasty one.

How can it have anything to do with the homeowner, what if you were at work all day and when you got home it was all done.

As a homeowner you can be held responsible for the safety of people who work on your home as when you contract someone to do the work on your property you become the Employer or the 'Duty Holder' according to the HSE.

And as such you must ensure:

'All work at height is properly planned and organised;
Those involved in work at height are competent;
The risks from work at height are assessed and appropriate work equipment is selected and used;
The risks from fragile surfaces are properly controlled; and
equipment for work at height is properly inspected and maintained.'

The easiest way of ensuring the above is to ask to see the contractors Method Statement and Risk Assessment for the specific job in hand. If he produces these and you're happy with the proposed Methods then you can sleep easy.

If they have no idea about preparing Method Statements and Risk Assessments then the onus may be on you to ensure the job is planned properly and the risks assessed properly.

[/i]

As a householder you are not expected to assume the responsibilities that a professional would.

You are appointing a company to do work on your property and have to rely on the contractor to comply with relevant legislation. There is a big difference between employing somebody and contracting the same people to do a specific job.

You will become liable if you insist on the work being carried out in a specific way.

With respect, how would you expect an average householder to be able to understand the implications of a method statement or risk assessment when they have no knowledge of the process?

If things go wrong and it all goes to court then as always common sense should prevail, so homeowners would not be penalised if they acted reasonably and in good faith.

But! .. as all us roofing contractors will know, there are not only reckless roofers out there , but also reckless customers!

Roofer: I can fix your roof, it'll cost £500 inc scaffold
Customer: I'll give you £300 cash to do it without scaffold
Roofer (struggling with mortgage & family to provide for): Oh.. ok
He falls off, breaks his neck.

In this instance I think it's right that the law would penalise the homeowner under the HSE guidelines, as they are clearly being reckless with the roofers safety.

So if the homeowner feels confident that they have acted reasonably to prevent an accident on their property then they won't have a problem. But if you have had 3 quotes from contractors and 2 are including scaffold, then it could be easily argued that it would have been reasonable for you to ask the 3rd guy why he wasn't providing scaffold - it may be that he has assessed the risks properly and has a wonderful safe method that the others hadn't thought of, but it would have been reasonable of you to enquire further.

In summary - if it looks dodgy it probably is, and if you are aware that it looks dodgy and allow it to go ahead and an accident occurs, then you could be held held accountable. I strongly believe homeowners should be aware of this as it will deter cowboy building practices and deter reckless customers, and ultimately save lives and legitimate businesses!
Amen[/u]

Couldn't agree more, as I said earlier

"You will become liable if you insist on the work being carried out in a specific way"

We recently walked away from a large job as the client thought that the costs were too high - objected to the access equipment element on the estimate.

My response to her was

"So you value our lives at £1200 do you?"

But your example illustrates the problem - the roofer should not have accepted the job. It doesn't matter how short of cashflow you are, one mistake and game over.

Favourite Fred Dibnah quote

"make a mistake up here and it's half a day out with the undertaker"

yep, I agree that the roofer shouldn't have taken the job, but I believe it's right that the customer should also be held to account as it was their reckless action that that contributed to the accident.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back