Should I be expected to re-seal the windows myself?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
It's under 2 years since we had new windows installed.
Most of the internal and external silicone seal between windows and trim/brick is coming away and has gaps.
This leads to lovely whistling noises.
In one place they didn't even bother putting any silicone.

Should I be expected to do this myself so soon or should the windows company do it?
Other problems we've have lead me to believe it's more down to poor workmanship than movement.
Consumers are supposed to be guaranteed a reasonable level of workmanship by the law.

We don't have a written guarentee, the only thing is the following on their web site:

... guarantees the profiles (outer window frames) for 10 years against discolouration by ultraviolet degradation (UVD) and warping. Glass/sealed Units for 10 years against internal condensation. Handle and locking mechanisms for 10 years.

All installations are carried out in accordance with current building regulations, therefore we are confident enough to apply our comprehensive 10 year guarantee to base works covering items such as subsidence, brickwork movement and flashing degradation.

ALL PVC systems installed by ... are manufactured in accordance with BS7413 (British Standards)

Sponsored Links
This is an installation issue, BS7413 relates only to the production of the UPVC profile (manufactured lengths)
BS7412 relates to the manufacture of the windows from the profile.

the important issue is, were the company Fensa registered installers?
If they were, i suggest you contact them and tell them that you are not happy with the quality of the installation. If the don't do anything tell them you will contact Fensa.

If they weren't Fensa registered then I suggest :-
http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?cId=A336159&ts=74963&id=35299

and a pleasant sunday afternoon ;)

Thanks for the link as I probably will end up doing it myself.

I'm not very hopeful about getting anything done by the company as I've already taken a complaint about them to Trading Standards.
Trading Standards are toothless and did nothing.

Basically I heard they sacked the fitters that did our windows, but they still wouldn't give us an apology or any money off.
They came out to us 11 times before the job was "finished".

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back