should I bleed the rads

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
in the summer I removed a rad and had a bit of trouble bleeding the radiators I may have been a bit impatient .Anyway it all seemed to work ok
now In the morning on the timer the boiler clicks on and starts and I get trickling noises coming from around the storagetank/ pump area and top radiator closest to the storage tank .The boiler turns itself off ( I aassume there is no water for it to heat ) the trickling continues and the boiler restarts and everything works absoluteley ok .the noise stops the water heats up and the heating is lovely and hot
The trickling sound is worrying me It can take 10 minutes for the boiler to start again and thats a lot of trickling .should I bleed the top rad closest to the storage tank as a precaution .Obviously I am reluctant to fiddle about with the heating at the moment as its so cold
thanks inadvance

Sponsored Links
The trickling noise will be a small amount of air being pumped around the system and isn't much to worry about.

If you want you can try bleeding the radiator and also the pump which has a large screw on the front. Do this with the system turned OFF.

I get the impression that when the boiler first comes on in the morning, it keeps going until the radiators all get hot, then it stops firing for a while until the CH water has cooled down a bit.

This is normal operation provided the radiators are getting reasonably hot before it goes OFF.

ok .hi . thanks for your swift reply .The last time I bled the pump I was worried about the tightness of the screw when I retightend ( too many times )so I am worried about doing that again in case it leaks . :confused:

let me explain more fully The timer starts the boiler which heats "itself up " am i correct? but the radiaters stay cold .The boiler, now hot, turns itself off for a short while and the pump continues to turn .then I can hear the trickling sound . The boiler fires itself up again and its all ok .Its that time when I can hear the pump turning to when the boiler restarts that I am worried its "struggling" and may be doing damage
I alway imagined the boiler started and heated the water and radiaters immediatly once the water has been heated off course .
Mind you It wouldn't be the first time I was overly worried when I dont need to be
once again thank for your quick reply

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back