Should I fix this now, or would waiting for summer be better - mould repair/efflorescence

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
I posted this thread in November about issues having redecorated by daughter's bedroom >>> Possible Efflorescence
To summarise:
...lots of damp problems and black mould and flaking paint around window
...scraped it all back and removed all window frame sealant as it was mouldy and in poor condition
...expanding foam filled large gaps behind frame as daylight was visible
...fixed all scrapes and gaps and filled areas where plaster was falling off with Toupret powder filler (first time using this, I usually use plaster)
...used Zinsser paint to undercoat (which didn't work and caused more issues with lots of flaking)
...scraped it off, re-applied, same happened again so scraped it off a second time and undercoated with regular paint, sealed frame edges with Nemesis Decorators Caulk
...having finished all decorating and painting within a week or two 'Efflorescence' started appearing (even in places nowhere near the previous damp, and some places where I had not even repaired!)
...a large wet patch appeared under the top inner ceiling part which meets the window frame (I thought this might be due to bad circulation so vented the window which cleared it and it hasn't been back since - but I am a little concerned as I used expanding foam though the gaps when I first scraped it out to try and stop the damp and drafts)
...as this happened in November I thought I would let it to fully finish off doing what it was doing and reassess when it gets warmer

And this is where I am today - I have today scraped everything back to prep for fixing and repainting but have a few questions:

1. I am unable to do anything major as I only have a few days holiday and the bedroom is fully decorated - how would you approach the issues I have as per explanation and photos?
2. Is it best to wait for warmer weather to continue - I'm wondering that the first efflorescence may have occurred when there is still a little damp getting in which interfered with areas where I had fixed the plaster with Toupret causing this reaction - I have also never used Toupret prior to this so maybe there is an issues using this filler in the application I did?
3. How likely have a screwed something up by using expanding foam to fill the voids around the window originally - for context, this was mostly from half way up to the top on the left, and then about half from top left to the top centre of the window where most of the foam was used? At it's worse there was almost a one inch gap between the window frame and the adjoining inside plaster wall.

I would like to get this resolved by the end of the week as I've taken a few days holiday specifically to get on top of this problem!

Appreciate any advice, thanks - today's pictures below:

IMG_2187.jpg IMG_2188.jpg IMG_2185.jpg IMG_2186.jpg IMG_2189.jpg

Sponsored Links
Too long.

You have a source of water.

Decorating will not cure it.

Is it the roof leaking? Or the window? Or is it condensation due to wet washing or insufficient ventilation? And cold uninsulated surfaces?

Sponsored Links
sorry, been away, thanks for the reply!

No roof leaks that I am aware of, and no window leaks. No wet washing.

All of the upstairs bedroom windows have suffered from this issue to some degree.

Venting the small window certainly helps keeping it manageable but I agree there is an underlying problem, I just have no idea how to find out what it could be and then how to fix!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back