Repairing paint after efflorescence

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The chimney breast in my kitchen has efflorescence and bubbling paint in the lower quarter. This is because the open/uncapped flue was un-vented at the bottom which meant sitting moisture.

I have since installed a 9" hit and miss vent to promote ventilation from bottom to top.

Does anybody know the best approach to repairing the painted wall? My guess is to carefully scrape away the salts and bubbled plaster, sand down, fill and pits/holes and then paint over with emulsion and top coat? Not sure if this is right. I also only have around a pint of the original paint left which is a chosen colour from the Dulux MixLab.

Sponsored Links
Sand down/scrape off the salts and then apply a coat of alkali resisting primer, allow to dry fully and then do your filling, sand, spot prime filler with thinned emulsion, and you're ready to go with the finishing emulsion coats.

Thanks for the advice - this type of primer was totally off my radar so I will have a look in the DIY sheds at the weekend as I'm out there. Seems expensive for the isolated place I have this problem but worth it in the long run.

Sponsored Links
Trouble is with online places, they sting you on delivery. That first one comes in at £25 once you add delivery and VAT.

I'll try a local DIY store but if not, go to the Dulux Decorator Centre as there is one local and £21 on the way back from work isn't too bad.

Thanks for the links.

Sorry, I hadn't realised that Tradepaintdirect show the prices ex VAT , my bad.

Additionally, I hadn't factored in the delivery costs.

At that kind of price I would be more inclined to ask my local Leyland paint decorator's merchant to order in a tin of 2.5l. I tend to stick to Dulux Trade but I am not convinced that in this case it is worth the premium price.

Thanks for the feedback though, sometimes I just link to the first site that I find and clearly fail to interrogate the total cost of ownership.

If your local B&Q has a tradepoint, a lot do now, then you can get 2.5 litre tins of Leyland trade alkali resisting primer there, I've seen it in our local B&Q, can't recall the price though sorry.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back