Should I get render removed down to floor?

JP_

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Have had pebble dash removed, to be replaced with a silicon render.
1930s solid 9 inch brick walls. Damp course above air brick.
Should I get this black-painted render removed all the way around too - is this a bridge over damp course risk?
If I do, what do I replace with?

IMG_20230511_201008182.jpg

Sponsored Links
Yeah, there has, but all air bricks were blocked up, and most problems on the side that had a concrete path raised up to damp course too, now removed.

Has the damp shown any signs of drying out since these were removed?
If you remove the lower render, you don't need to replace it at all. Assuming the brickwork behind is in good/decent condition, simply clean them up and have them on show. It may be advisable to put a bell casting on the bottom of the upper render to take any water drips away from the lower brickwork faces. And you might possibly have to do some re-pointing to the lower brickwork, but at least you won't be bridging the DPC.

Sponsored Links
The renderer said he was putting something on to stop water dripping down, so possibly bell casting.

Guessing the brickwork will look a bit rough. Doesn't worry me, but my wife might disagree!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back