Lime render, wrong paint

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I'm wondering if someone could advise what my options are.

1930s detached house, solid brick walls, lime mortar and roughcast (or pebble-dash?) render.
We have some damp internal patches in various places. Previous owners had it painted outside with non-breathable paint.

In some areas, the exterior paint comes off like cardboard, but in many parts it's still solid. The pebble-dash under it seems damp to me, but otherwise solid.

What are my options? Ideally I would also consider something to improve insulation.

Is it worth removing the external paint even where it is solid? Or best to allow that to peel off naturally to avoid damaging the pebble-dash?
Would "breathable" external insulation be breathable enough?

I'm in South London, so if anyone can recommend a company with experience in this area, I'd be grateful... my internet searches point me to conservation companies which tend to go for much grander projects!

Sponsored Links
SgtFoley

As for paint removal?

Suggest you look @ Soda Blasting? [not as violent as it first appears???]

Ken

Is the roughcast original or been done at a later date , If its not lime based theres no point in painting cement render with breathable paint?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back