Should I keep this plaster strip back and redo?

Sponsored Links
teaboyjim, good evening.

As a general rule, Lath and Plaster will be on the external walls, internal walls tend to be plaster on the hard. Some internal partition walls can at times be Lath and Plaster on both sides of the partition, no hard and fast rules apply.

As for wholesale removal and replacement of the original plaster, not unless the plaster is damp / wet or badly damaged or has become de-bonded from the Lath and Plaster or other internal walls. Let sleeping dogs lie ???

To do a proper job on removal and replacement of the plaster, all the timber finishes would need to be removed and re-fitted.

Ken.

external walls won’t have lath and plaster . it’ll be some sort of lime mortar depending where you are in the country.
some internal walls will be timber framed brick walls and some lath and plaster .

Benny, I live in a Georgian ground floor flat, all my external walls are L/P

Most if not all the properties I see in Victorian tenements, and Semis, as well as detached properties up here at least are L/P on the external walls.

I think it was a "cheap" way of getting round the problem of [so called] Random Ruble external walls where the internal finish of the external wall was terrible, the L/P was used to over come the issue, also there is a small thermal Advantage of an air gap between the inner surface of the external wall and the L/P Also if there was rain penetration the L/P would "mask" it and no major damp marks on the plaster.

Ken

Sponsored Links
I'm not expert, but all looks good to me!
My approach to the rooms I have had replastered / skimmed is to hit plaster that looks iffy with a utility bar, and if it stays it is good, if it crumbles, it is not and I hit it until no more crumbly bits.

teaboyjim, good evening.
As a general rule, Lath and Plaster will be on the external walls, internal walls tend to be plaster on the hard. Some internal partition walls can at times be Lath and Plaster on both sides of the partition, no hard and fast rules apply.
So the bathroom I've stripped out had a lath and plaster wall so that was an internal wall

Last edited by a moderator:
teaboyjim, good evening, again.

the bathroom that I've stripped out had a lath and plaster wall so that was an internal wall

The partition walls around the bathroom are probably non load bearing? I have generally considered, back in the day L/Plaster would be considered cheaper than brick or what ever, Or? the room was not built above a solid wall or walls on the ground floor?

So none of the plaster anywhere in the house is loose, bumpy or crumbly

Leave well alone ! do not waste your £££ for no good purpose and disruption

you'd need to take the architrave around the top of the wall, picture rails if any and the skirting boards?

Yes, plus all the damage to perfectly good wood work.

Ken.

Benny, I live in a Georgian ground floor flat, all my external walls are L/P

Most if not all the properties I see in Victorian tenements, and Semis, as well as detached properties up here at least are L/P on the external walls.

I think it was a "cheap" way of getting round the problem of [so called] Random Ruble external walls where the internal finish of the external wall was terrible, the L/P was used to over come the issue, also there is a small thermal Advantage of an air gap between the inner surface of the external wall and the L/P Also if there was rain penetration the L/P would "mask" it and no major damp marks on the plaster.

Ken
interesting. be keen to know how they managed to pin hundreds of laths to stone and mortar?

interesting. be keen to know how they pinned hundreds of laths to stone and mortar?

Benny.

Back in the day, they used timber "Dooks" or Billgates into pockets on the inner face of the external wall, to them they fitted vertical battens, say 50.mm X 50.mm then the laths came along fixing to the verticals.

The above allowed for fairly large variations in the level and horizontal deviations in the masonry walls, the billgates / Dooks are cut to length to accommodate very uneven inner faces of the external wall masonry, all that mattered was that the external face of the wall was level plumb straight.

Big down side is that over time the vertical battens tend to rot as a result of rain water penetration.

Ken.

Last edited:
Benny.

Back in the day, they used timber "dooks" or bilgates
learning every day. my limited experience is of working in wales.
worked in some pretty old places but never seen laths on external walls other than around timber lintels or alcoves and archways. the welsh way seems to dub out the roughness in the stonework with various mortars containing everything from straw,mud ,coal dust ,ash, lime etc etc.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back