Should I move a 'taken' rose cutting inside for a bit?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
It's not really a DIY question.. but I spy a few other plant related questions so thought a few knowledgable gardeners here might be able to answer? Looking around the net it's pretty unclear how to actually proceed with rose cuttings which have taken.

I took some rose cuttings late last year and to my surprise one has taken, maybe another too. One cutting has quite a large leafy bud and another has a very tiny one. They've been in an unheated garage all winter and I'm trying to work out how best to proceed with them? Would I be looking at just keeping them where they are and then planting them outside in a month or so? Or should I bring them inside and place them on a window shelf perhaps? To give them a little boost? Or will that damage them?

Any advice much appreciated!

Sponsored Links
It's a good question, i can tell my experience, i got some roses last year and planted them out at this time, and they seemed fine. I'm not sure what help it would be to put them inside, it might give them a shock? Better to give them only gentle transitions. Especially at a sensitive stage.
Good luck, roses are lovely!

Thanks for the reply @John D v2.0 Yes that's what I was thinking too. Maybe I should let them be where they are. I've started watering them with rose feed so hopefully that will give them an extra boost.

Sponsored Links
I have 12 cuttings 8 survived the winter, I will leave them in theirs pots outside till next year this time.

Kept water

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back