Should I Risk Another Bulb For Aquarium?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello guys. I want to point out that when i first received aquarium from relative the reflector (aluminum plate) was already burned along with 9W fluorescent bulb, not to mention that almost half of bulb's compartment was full of water. Was it overheating that burned bulb or water that reached ballast i don't know but please see these pictures:

9W Original Fluorescent Bulb:

V8DmHl.jpg

Reflector:

icJxq.jpg

Later i purchased 15W bulb and it got burned after a month as result of overheating in others' opinion:

Lq04Rl.jpg

9W is the bulb aquarium came with originally, so 9W bulbs are the bulbs with correct wattage, but why aquarium's reflector burned after 3 months if 9W bulb was there?

The dealer replaced burned 15W bulb (800lm) with 11W bulb (535lm) but do you think 4W and 265 lumens less will make difference in heat emission?

What do you think? Should i drill holes just in case to allow convection? Don't want to risk another bulb, but if i knew what is the stable temperatureFor lid to look less uglyer i think i could use sandpaper to polish sharp edges of holes and maybe glue white sticky paper rings above in case i have appropriate diameter?

Do you know how to disassemble this bulb's socket?

CbJZi.jpg

LLEg6.jpg

Thanks guys!

Sponsored Links
It needs 9W max. An 11W lamp will give almost a quarter more heat. The bulb looks to have been underwater and neither bulb nor tank was certainly not designed to work like that! How did the water get in? Need to make sure it can't happen again. The corroded connector needs attention or replacing or you will have problems and a potential shock/fire risk - yes fish tanks have caused major fires.

It needs 9W max. An 11W lamp will give almost a quarter more heat. The bulb looks to have been underwater and neither bulb nor tank was certainly not designed to work like that! How did the water get in? Need to make sure it can't happen again. The corroded connector needs attention or replacing or you will have problems and a potential shock/fire risk - yes fish tanks have caused major fires.

Firstly i would like to thank you for replying to my question since after 12 days of waiting you were the first who replied.

Water got in through which seems like small gaps in plastic's sealing rubber. I put some white silicone fill the them and now i think it is fine.

Additionally, i have installed 11W bulb now and yes, it does get hot but i don't know how much compared to previous 15W. If i knew what is safe temperature for such bulbs i could place small aquarium plastic thermometer in bulb's compartment to see current temperature, given it can tolerate such temperature.

How do i replace corroded connector? I don't know how to disassemble it.

Sponsored Links
Back