Last minute changes to bathroom lights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Until today I had decided that my new bathroom was going to have four downlights controlled by a pull cord switch inside the room, one illuminated mirror feeding from the lights, and one extractor fan wired to the light circuit via an isolator switch situated outside the room.

However, today I changed my mind, and I'd like to know if my new idea is workable or just plain stupid.

Ditch downlights and go with a central light fitting, this one to be precise:
http://www.thelightingsuperstore.co.uk/product.asp?productid=35785

At 40w and a warm white bulb I think this should provide more than enough light to bathroom of dimensions 1.7 x 1.9 x 2.6m (w x l x h). The four energy saving downlights I had in mind from TLC at 9w a piece would have provided 36w so I'm up 4w already.
My only concern is will I have a dark spot below the light? Will the circular fluorescent tube prevent this?

Now the problem with these lights are the warm up time. If someone just goes in for a few seconds it'll be fairly dim. So I was thinking of installing a second light, an LED spotlight, above the toilet.
Both lights would be controlled separately from a double switch situated outside the bathroom. So if you were expecting to be in there a while, you'd put on the central light, if only a short time, the LED light.
Is an LED directly over the toilet too much? Will it feel like I'm being beamed up by aliens? :eek:
Would a wall light be better?

Now if I move the light switches outside the room, I'll be using the channel and box I had originally planned for the fan isolation switch (I put it at switch height and not above the door btw). I guess I could cut another channel and put the isolator switch above the door like but I've already painted the ceiling out there and I don't really want to risk damaging it. So would it be ok to fit a pull cord isolator switch inside the bathroom, away from the bath and sink?

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/ASCS3PIF.html

The illuminated mirror stays as is :)

What do you think? Do-able?

Sponsored Links
Would seem more sensible to have the LED spot and main light come on together from a single pullcord, there is no benefit to having them individually switched.

Besides, I've never liked light switches outside bathrooms. You'll still come out of there with wet hands and it's also a pain for guests who would expect a cord.

I kind of agree on the outside light switches, but the idea is to have two lights for two different scenarios. Think of the LED as a night light :)

Sponsored Links
I love the light switch outside the bathroom, mine is, the job i am on at the minute will be.:cool:

Get nice and dry in the bathroom, grapple with your under *******s that are always hard to dry any way :eek: , by then your hands are lovely and dry and your can switch off with out worries!!! :D

Besides try finding the pull cord in the dark, with 12 pints down you and the misses shushhing you to be quiet, and then you give up and find the wardrobe for the follow up *******ing!!! :eek: :cry: :eek: :cry: :rolleyes:

Outside all the way

Pull cords fail too frequently and are out dated, you won't find any in EEC land.

The only issue with having switches outside the room is that kids think its funny to switch them off when your soaking in the bath on a Winters night :LOL:

Tell me big-all, do those lights sit flush on the ceiling? Can't tell from the pictures whether they've got that hidden backend. I chose the light mentioned in my first post mainly because of it's depth. It's the closest I can get to a downlight :)

Thanks for sharing with us your techniques on how to throughly dry your hands oharaf, that's one point to the outsiders.

Chri5 is neither in nor out on this one. In every new build I've been into, they have the switches outside. However I'm with you on the whole kids turning the switches off. I think this is more of a risk than electrocution :mad:

I looked around for some type of sealed switch, no joy there. Even considered the touch sensitive ones...

http://www.sensor.co.uk/SS01.htm

Not heard of anyone using these, so a little skeptical.

Stepping back a little I'm now thinking of keeping the pull cord inside for the main light (foiling those pesky kids) and using a pir sensor for the LED for night use. That way, anyone going to the toilet at night won't be clicking that cord or switch. And if oharaf ever stops by, my wardrobes are safe :D

The pir sensor should be able to adjust to only be active at night, however does this mean it will be active when the main central light is on too? So if someone is in the bath with the big light on, will the pir sensor keep the LED light on as well?

The confusion continues...

Tell me big-all, do those lights sit flush on the ceiling? Can't tell from the pictures whether they've got that hidden backend. I chose the light mentioned in my first post mainly because of it's depth. It's the closest I can get to a downlight :)

they mount on the surface the lamps are 12" accross with 10.5" 0ff glass showing the metal protrudes 1.5" the dome a further 1.75"total 3.25"
although they look slimmer [about 2"visual deptth ]when on the ceiling

my only small niggle is you need 3 hands to put the fronts on as the glass and rim are sepperate
and the wire entry hole is 3" from the edge which means you need you wire to surface 3 inches off centre if you want your lamp to be in an exact position

minor points realy but worth mentioning :D ;)

big-all, does your light flicker on start up? The one I bought for the landing flickers on start up and buzzs afterwards. It's irritates me so much, it's been marked for ebay. Do all 2d bulbs do this?

I'm going to be contencious here. If you are installing to 17th then the light switch could go inside the bathroom..........

big-all, does your light flicker on start up? The one I bought for the landing flickers on start up and buzzs afterwards. It's irritates me so much, it's been marked for ebay. Do all 2d bulbs do this?

mines uses normal and l/e bulbs which have the electronics attached so if it buzzes it get put elsewhere

I tested the new central bathroom light and that's works perfectly. Instantly on and no hum :)

I've settled on having the light switch outside the room (got back-up on mirror if someone finds it amusing to turn it off while I'm in there :cool: )

And I think I'm going to use the pull cord fan isolator switch...http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/ASCS3PIF.html ...inside the bathroom behind the door.

The central light is very bright so I'm still thinking of installing a second more subtle light for night use. And I think that this would best be controlled via a sensor.

So 3 more questions if I may:

1. Am I allowed the pull cord 3-pole fan isolation switch inside the bathroom?

2. If I put a sensor above the bathroom door, will it pick up people walking across the landing or just when the door opens? (I see some of them detect 12m and 300°, I'm hoping by putting it close to the wall above the door it will only see through about 90°)

3. What sort if light is best for this situation? Wall light or downlight, cfl or LED?
This type of light source would be nice http://www.amazon.co.uk/Moonlight-low-energy-night-light/dp/B000WXI8W2

Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back