New bathroom lighting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am looking for lighting ideas for a new bathroom. Having seen effective uplighting in a couple of hotel bathrooms fitted and hidden above cornicing (sort of, but with maybe 300mm space to ceiling) I like the result. My idea is to combine that with shower-rated downlights above the wet-area as well as very low-level wall mounted (led?) lighting and an illuminated mirror.
What is the most economic (safe) light fittings for the uplighting and where is best to source them?
Also is it feasible that dimmer switches would work to adjust the mood....
Hope I've explained the idea effectively.
Thanks in advance for opinions

Sponsored Links
For the hidden uplighting I suggest fluorescent lamps, combined with electronic high frequency dimmable ballasts. It sounds like you're haveing a total overhaul so this may be feasible. This type of fitting is very efficient and obvisouly has the benefit of dimming. However you do need a switch circuit and a dimming circuit for this type of lamp.

Above the shower, an IP rated fitting can be used. A good idea is to use a fan-light combination. The light is set in the middle of the fan's extraction hole so you dont notice it. Try to get one that can take compact fluorescent lamps, as traditional halogen downlights are hideously inefficient.

For the low-level LEDs, I suggest a 12v source and a kit of lamps.

Thanks for quick reply Steve. The fan is already built in but good idea.
I wasn't planning on a seperate dimming circuit for the fluorescents, just to take them off the existing lighting circuit. Forgoing the increased efficiency, is there a similar product that is IP rated bathroom safe that would do a similar job and is dimmable, anyone know? Obviously appearance is not a concern as they would be hidden.
Thanks.

Are there any dimmable fluorescent strip lights out there safe for bathroom use that can be taken off a standard lighting circuit?
Thanks.

Sponsored Links
To be honest the fluorescent idea is looking unlikely. Is there an alternative anyone can think of which is in effect long narrow lighting which can be hidden above a 15mm ledge and is dimmable or will give a soft light? Any ideas welcome.....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back