Should mains in blue plastic pipe be insulated?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Should mains in blue plastic pipe be insulated if being buried in concrete floor?
What depth should the pipe be laid at outside the house from the water services' toby?
What depth should the pipe be laid at inside the house?

Sponsored Links
750-1350mm deep. should be insulated where it enters the property if the distance from the outside ground level to the pipe is less than this at any point.

Would love to do drawing to illustrate this but this is ChrisR's forte and he may think i'm upstaging him

So excuse my misunderstanding - not insulated outside if below 750 but insulated inside if less than this?

Would love to do drawing to illustrate this but this is ChrisR's forte and he may think i'm upstaging him

COme come, you could have knocked something up:

62262892.jpg

Sponsored Links
Many thx, so from what i can see, insulation only on joist area (although mine's a concrete floor) - or is that insulation inside the duct?

That drawing has a suspended floor. Assume it is concrete,then insulation is not needed. The pipe is below the frost line and enters the heat envelope of the house.

thats not my interpretation. if it is within 750mm of the surface or outside whether or not it is inconcrete etc it should be lagged until it enters the thermal envelope of the property. certainly if you look at the diagrams in the wras guide to the water regs I think this supports this.

A two metre length of 28mm x 25mm wall thickness lagging down the duct would be what I'd aim for. Last time I did that and inspection guy came he said he had refused to connect a supply where some gypos had dug a foot deep trench while laying a load of block paving for the owner. Of course they had scarpered with the money and was too late to dig a new trench.

Oh, just back - bought 19mm - I'll lag from my boundary connection to the inside of the house. How deep once in does it have to be (minimum)? The joists are being removed and a concrete floor installed - presume it goes at the bed of this?

It should enter the property at a minimum of 750mm below ground, it can rise once inside as per ChrisR's drawing

But it's a bit pointless if I 'don't' need to - it's 9m so best part of a tenner - not got money to burn, that's 4 pints!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back