Should my doors smell of urine?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Pretty sure the answer to this one is "no", but thought I'd run it past you.

I had my internal doors dipped and neutralised on Thursday. The company wanted to return them on Saturday. I received them on Monday, and they were still quite damp. They are currently drying out in my dining room with the dehumidifier going full-tilt.

I'm a bit unimpressed with the results and just wanted to check on here to see of my expectations are too high:

1) I numbered the doors with masking tape - the company said they would transfer the number to the door edge, as this is what I was supposed to have done (I had asked them before they arrived whether there was anything I was supposed to do before they picked the doors up and they didn't respond). They've not transferred the numbers so I have no way of identifying the doors.

2) the doors are still damp. The company says that the process involves drying the doors out in their warm room with dehimidifiers, but when they delievered them back they said to leave it a week to dry out before hanging them

3) there is still a fair bit of paint on the doors. there is beading around the panels, and a lot of these have paint still on them. There is also quite a bit of paint on the edges of the doors, that I will have to plane off.

4) Most worryingly, the doors smell really bad. Like urine. As I said, I have put them in the dining room to dry out with the dehumidifier on, because the weather has been wet so cannot dry them outside. I also put some washing in the dining room to dry (because the dehumidifier was on and the weather is bad), and the washing has picked up the smell.

Is there any good reason why the doors should smell? I am hoping it will disappear when they dry out, but if the smell is indicative of something being wrong I'd rather combat it now.

Also, is there a good (cheap) way to test whether the doors have been neutralised properly? Given the results so far it would not surprise me if they have not been, and I'd rather check it now and take steps to correct it as we do plan to paint the doors.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Sounds like a mess, chemicals used will give off nasty smells, though IMO dipping doors destroys them removing all natural oils and weakening joints.
If they are not dried flat and weighted they will likely warp and be firewood.

The smell will disappear once dry. It may be easier to remove any remnants of paint from beading etc before they dry out completely, usually a scraper gently run along any grooves in beading etc will have it off easily. As for the rest of the problems, I guess it comes down to what was agreed with the company in advance.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back