Should replace my boiler?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I moved into this house 19 months ago. It's bigger than my previous house, but even so the gas bill seems a lot higher. We had a relatively modern combi before. This house has a Glow Worm Space Saver which looks as old as the hills, and uses the traditional hot water tank system.
Would it be worth my while having a new combi boiler installed?
If so, what type should I consider?
The house is a 4 bedroom detached.
Cheers

Sponsored Links
Spleurker said:
Hi, I moved into this house 19 months ago. It's bigger than my previous house, but even so the gas bill seems a lot higher. We had a relatively modern combi before. This house has a Glow Worm Space Saver which looks as old as the hills, and uses the traditional hot water tank system.
Would it be worth my while having a new combi boiler installed?
If so, what type should I consider?
The house is a 4 bedroom detached.
Cheers

Space Savers are the gas guzzerlers of the boiler world and any one found with this regit thing installed these days should be hung drawn and minced meated and sold in the corner butchers shop.

Get a new one fitted it will pay for itself in ..............

COMBI ONLY = 3 YEARS
COMBI + RADS + PIPEWORK = 5 YEARS

you have checked the insulation and draughtproofing, haven't you?

Thanks for the replies.
Everything is lagged, insulated etc. We have modern double glazed windows and doors, cavity wall insulation and plenty lagging in the loft.
Looks as though I'll get someone in for quotes a new combi.

Sponsored Links
You'll be far better off with a new regular boiler, standard HE foam lagged cylinder, controls (as required) and powerflush.

As far as i can see, the biggest advantage of a Combi is that it is cheap and easy to install in a new house as it save installing a cylinder, water tank, and additional piping.

As you already have these things you don't need a combi.

Combis also seem to break don more often and have shorter lives, i don't know if this is because they are built to a price, or because they are more complicated and have more bits to go wrong.

When a combi breaks down you are in a bad position as you have no cylinder and immersion heater to keep you going.

All gas boilers are built to a price. There are many proven technical arguments for and against combi's but from the consumer viewpoint the following can be said.

The traditional system is made up of off the shelf components, the only bespoke spares are on the boiler (which is only the heat source). This means in the event of a breakdown you can replace with any brand of pump, motorised valve, controls, immersion heater, cylinder, auto by-pass, AAV's, sealed systems parts etc. Furthermore motorized valves can be manually o/ridden, Immersions used which enables the consumer to buy time in order to get professional repair without panic call outs etc.

However if you know a good installer who uses a combi and backs it with spares and service as well as having a rapport with the manufacturer (not the type that get you to phone them), then a combi can seem as reliable.

Nixt said:
You'll be far better off with a new regular boiler, standard HE foam lagged cylinder, controls (as required) and powerflush.

What about the OP's hot water requirements ?

If their hot water demands are such that they don't need a large cylinder of hot water heated every day, then a combi is a viable alternative.

Nixt said:

He would be far better off with a high flow combi giving high pressure showers without silly pumps, and lots of space saved.

W-Bosch 937, Alpha CD-50, Viessmann 333, W-B 440, Atmos Multi, ACV Heat Master, etc.

Nixt said:
All gas boilers are built to a price. There are many proven technical arguments for and against combi's but from the consumer viewpoint the following can be said.

Few arguments against.

The traditional system is made up of off the shelf components, the only bespoke spares are on the boiler (which is only the heat source).

A traditional system is now the combi as they are approx 60% of the market in sales and have been for around 5 years.

Many combis of differing makers, share the same components, which are available readily off-the-shelf, even the pumps are standard available from B&Q. HRPC, who are in all Plumb Centers, stock most generic boiler parts.

Good makers will courier a part ASAP.

More hastily googled answers rather than facts gained from installation experience :rolleyes:

JohnD said:
Combis also seem to break don more often and have shorter lives, i don't know if this is because they are built to a price, or because they are more complicated and have more bits to go wrong.

As they outsell all other types more will go wrong out there. Also, a quality maker's combi will not brake down a lot. Look at an Atmos.

Look at a system as whole. If a zone valve or stat goes at the cylinder, no one blames the boiler. In a combi all is inside, so the "boilers" are inferior. In fact an Atmos combi has less components in the "system" that a boiler/cylinder/tank system. Compare like with like system vs. system.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back