Should the Yale 6400 be avoided? (possible purchase)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, a neighbour was broken into recently, so Mrs Tapir and I think it's time to install an alarm. I've been looking at the Yale 6400 Premium, the plus points for me being -

- simple to install (wireless)
- good feature set
- modular, so I can add items to it as needed.
- generally has good feedback

However, looking through the forums here, I've found that a few people recommend the pro models, and look at the Yale (or alarms available in the high street) with a certain amount of derision.

My requirements for an alarm are:
- visible deterrent (alarm box)
- easy install (aka cheaper than someone wiring it all in)
- can cover the whole house if required
- will trigger if the house is broken into
- any alarm has got to be better than no alarm
- is tamper proof.

I know there are fans and critics alike here, wondered if there are any obvious reasons as to why I shouldn't part with £250 and have something up and running by the end of the day.

Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
If this was a purely DIY forum you would get a good review of the Yale systems. I myself have installed hundreds.
Some people will criticise them on here but without actually having had any experience of installing or using them.
Some people on here install other systems proffesionally. They therefore make a lot of negative noise.

For the money if you take care to install properly you cant go wrong.

At the end of the day wether a graded nsi system or a yale they work to the same principles. When someone enters they make a sound.

The Yale 6400 will also call you on your mobile and for what it costs that is excellent value.

Thanks Yaleguy3, very useful information. the way I see it, * some * alarm has got to be better than no alarm.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back