Should these lines look like this..?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey everyone, I've been trying (and thus far failing) to change my fuel filter and have noticed this blue line on the right looks like it's coming loose and perhaps that green part should be fully inserted as on the left blue line, before I fiddle with anything - should this actually look like that or is it coming loose. Just wanted a quick safety check from experienced eyes :)

Also, would anyone be able to point me towards some pliers for releasing those stuborn plastic clips on the fuel filter? Many thanks! :)

Car is a 1999 Astra G. DSC_0014.JPG DSC_0017.JPG

Sponsored Links
For the filter release pliers, I have Laser Tools 5163, and I've ground the tips down just a fraction. To shift the fuel pipes, have the filter lowered in your hand and depress the squares on the clips, twisting ever so slightly at the same time. Depress those squares equally as much as you can.
The rest of the fuel lines look OK - there is built in flexibility and I can't see any leak so leave them be.
There will be a slight spurt of fuel when you release the clips so watch for that.
John :)

Hey John cheers for that, do you think I should get these bits checked out? To be honest I'm not even sure what they are but kinda look like they're coming loose. Wasn't sure if I should try pushing them back together. Thanks again.

Attachments

• DSC_0014_Ink_LI.jpg
    DSC_0014_Ink_LI.jpg
    123.5 KB · Views: 244
These connections actually have a pretty sophisticated seal inside so I'd leave well alone.....an MOT tester would shout if there were any issues.
Some of the connections have a 'Y' piece incorporated so they do tend to look off centre. The connections are only interfered with if the fuel tank has to be dropped or the rear axle renewed, and they are checked for leaks afterwards.
Get the feel of things by replacing your filter, bearing in mind that its cold out there and the plastic isn't too pliable!
I have made my own pliers by bending the tips of a pair of snipe (long) nose pliers at 90 degrees but I have to recommend something other than your finger tips!
John :)

Sponsored Links
The loose green part is a piece that is designed to break off to show that the connector is fully home.

Hope this helps

F

Back