should we talk to aliens, or just listen out for them...

I

imamartian

There's been some talk recently about SETI (listening out for signals from non Earth intelligent life forms) and beaming out signals to shout about our existance here on Earth. Some say we shouldn't shout about our existence in case the aliens are dangerous...

Who's right?

I know a couple of spaceships have been sent with plaques and discs (records) with information about the Human Race.... but should we beaming out our house number and postcode to any creature with the intelligence enough to hear us?

I mean, what if the alien was similar to a t-rex, but with a hugely developed brain, and a carniverous appetite to match - oh and a planet saving need for carbon based fuels and H2O?!!!

or just murderous intent.... it only takes them to catch Bruce Willis in the bath or asleep, and we're doomed!

Sponsored Links
You should realise that we have been broadcasting our presence to the universe for about a hundred years now. Radio signals and tv broadcasts have been going spaceward since broadcasting began.
Ok the signal would be very weak by the time it reached the next nearest star to us but, there may well be intelligent life out there, able to decode them.
BTW, for what it's worth,,, I'm watching Independance Day as I type this. :D :D :D :D :D :D

If we can't run this planet effectively what chance do we have of conquering another?
:confused:

Sponsored Links
I mean, what if the alien was similar to a t-rex, but with a hugely developed brain, and a carniverous appetite to match
Completely out of the question.......
How could they operate intricate navigation systems within the spaceship with huge claws....... :rolleyes:
Now if you had said VENOMOUS ALIEN ANTS ........... :idea:
They on the other hand are completely versatile, nimble, multi-tasking wizards.......
And billions can fit in each craft on their way to earth........

ok, i guess, what i'm thinking is that the romantic view of an alien is the smallish green human shaped being with the larger head and eyes....

And it seems that some scientists have that romantic view too... but i really think we need to explore what exactly alien life could be like...how would the size of their planet, or their gravity affect their size? Could it be that an alien life form would send a ship full of robots? and would they obey Asimovs laws? (i could be wrong on the asimov law thing, but someone came up with robot rules)...

or could some really intelligent, extremely small virus learn how to catch a lift on a photon... so you're looking at light from a distant star, and a killer alien virus enters your body via your pupil?

they could send a massive invasion fleet towards the earth and even with all our defences aimed at them the end would come for them when the entire fleet was eaten in one quick gulp by a dog :eek:
(hitchikers guide to the galaxy)

To date we have only managed to explore 1% of the 'inner'space the oceans, which covers 75%/80% of the earth,

Theres no need to go out look inward, i mean, er, downward first.

space is relatively easy once you're up there.. no matter how deep into space you go you only have to contend with the same pressure difference..
with the ocean you get crushed more the deeper you go..

joinerjohn wrote:
You should realise that we have been broadcasting our presence to the universe for about a hundred years now. Radio signals and tv broadcasts have been going spaceward since broadcasting began.

They have probably picked up the American soaps, and deduced there is no intelligent life on earth. :p :p

Wotan

To date we have only managed to explore 1% of the 'inner'space the oceans, which covers 75%/80% of the earth,
And thats not counting Basingstoke, eventually someone will mange to navigate themselves around the one way system but until then..

Sponsored Links
Back