Shower bar mixer install?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I’m installing a new shower bar mixer using a bar valve fixing kit which means I have to drill into the tile each side of the pipes to install the bracket. I don’t want to hit a pipe when I do drill it, any ideas?
69836B0A-E89C-4837-9F31-B9672EBE142D.jpeg

Sponsored Links
Pipes should run either up or down, so drilling to the side of the pipes should be fine, shine a light into the holes and see what direction the pipe bends

Pipes should run either up or down, so drilling to the side of the pipes should be fine, shine a light into the holes and see what direction the pipe bends
These are the best pictures I could get, the hole is too small to see anything with a light shined so couldn’t see much. The pipes do bend left & right a little and as you can see from the side they go downwards if any of those play a factor in determining which way they go?
C76937DF-9B85-4515-BD74-BA1A01C6AED7.jpeg DCFC8595-253A-4965-83CF-737402FB49F5.jpeg E4733A6F-385D-464A-A170-64525C88069A.jpeg A10504FF-4265-4605-AF00-DEEF0DA61830.jpeg

If possible check under the bath or shower tray, or above the bathroom for what way the pipes go, failing that, you could always chip around the pipes making the holes slightly bigger to get a better look

Sponsored Links
There is obviously a lot of movement on those pipes and the elbows are going to be a long way back. Push them back into the wall as you drill and go carefully. A long thin screwdriver will then confirm whether the way is clear for screws.

What plugs should I use for when I put the bracket on? I believe it is just plasterboard behind the tiles.

You should be alright with basic wall plugs. The tiles are solid enough that the plugs will be spread by the screws and won't be able to pull through.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back