Shower base onto chipboard floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm about to fit the the floor in the ensuite but before I do I just wanted to check what the best advice is for fitting a stone resin tray?

It is a low profile 800*1000 offset quadrant.

Option 1 - just lay the chipboard floor and then seal the floor with some tanking stuff. Then use a bed of sand and cement on top to bed the tray.

Option 2 - lay ply where the shower is going instead. If this was the case it would probably be easiest for fitting to just use an 8x4 sheet for that end of the bathroom. Then use chipboard for the remainder (would just lack a tongue at the join but I could add noggins there to support)

Option 3 - lay the chipboard floor, then lay some 9mm ply on top. Cut to the shape of the tray.

Sponsored Links
Go with the inch ply under the tray- if you do get a bit of leakage it won't fall to bits. Don't forget to leave yourself some access to waste pipe if poss (depends what floor covering you're using of course). And yes support the joint- offcut of ply would be easiest as a bridge piece

Yes, I've got access (just about) to the waste. It isn't ideal as the joists run with the length of the shower so from in the bathroom the waste is nearly 1m away. So I can forget that! Luckily there is a cupboard in the other side of the stud wall. So I have put an access panel in there which is can lift and lie awkwardly on my side and reach under the stud wall to the waste.

With the ply would you just do that entire end of the bathroom in one piece then? And try and match the height in with the cupboard floor?

Wouldn't worry about matching with the cupboard floor-who will know or care since its the other side of a wall. Depends what floor covering you'te having- tiles or thin vinyl yes do it as a single sheet (reduce any crack/joint lines). If laminate or similar then doesn't really matter

Sponsored Links
Wouldn't worry about matching with the cupboard floor-who will know or care since its the other side of a wall. Depends what floor covering you'te having- tiles or thin vinyl yes do it as a single sheet (reduce any crack/joint lines). If laminate or similar then doesn't really matter

Apologies autocorrect put cupboard instead of chipboard. I meant to ask about matching in with the chipboard in the rest of the bathroom. The ensure is approx 3m wide by 1.6m deep. The shower and toilet are at one end. The sink and fitted vanity cupboards are at the other end. So a 2.4m X 1.2m piece of ply would need cutting down to 1.6m X 1.2m. the 1.6m dimension would span the 800 side of the shower base plus the rest of the space which would go under the toilet etc. The 1.2m dimension would span the 1000 side of the shower plus 20cm further into the room. This would leave 1.8m X 1.6m to fill.

I presume I would use chipboard to fill the rest of the room and this would be 3 straight pieces of 600*1.6m. So I presume of have to get the height spot on? I believe we are going to use vinyl click flooring. The stuff that looks like tiles and fits together like laminate but can't warp or rot.

I'd be tempted (if the price difference isn't massive) to ply the whole room- green chipboard is pretty good at resisting wet but inch ply is even better.
Whatever, yes height match has to be spot-on esp with that soft flooring

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back