Shower body jets

Sponsored Links
If they're anything like the ones on my shower, then they sting like shyte so I never use them. They're also a pain in arse as you've got to stand outside the spray area till they get warm. I absolutely love my thermostatic drench shower, but I wouldn't bother with these again.

How do you intend to control the water temperature to them.

If they're anything like the ones on my shower, then they sting like shyte so I never use them. They're also a pain in arse as you've got to stand outside the spray area till they get warm. I absolutely love my thermostatic drench shower, but I wouldn't bother with these again.

How do you intend to control the water temperature to them.

Thats the whole point of them!! The "sting" is invigorating and raises the blood to the surface and exfoliates the skin. Its good for you supposedly. It also depends on where you are fitting them. There are certain levels that are best avoided unless you like that kind of thing!!

As for the heat to them why is this an issue? Piped properly and with temp control they take no longer than a couple of seconds if that to be at the same heat as the shower head.

Jon

Sponsored Links
Why do I get the feeling that you haven't used them Aquaheat; because although you're right on the principle, reality leaves a lot to be desired. They shoot out at a fixed size, and at a fixed height, and that's why they sting. If you had a vertical line of them, then you could turn around, and then they'd do the whole (upper as you say) body as you go, but too many of them lowers the pressure, and it becomes more of a car wash system.

I've got them on a thermostatic panel, and although the boiler is only 6 feet away from the shower, it takes about a minute for the water to get hot, so I stick my hand in the shower and turn it on, then step into it when the hot water comes through, but if I turn the control knob to the body jets, the cold water in the panel still takes about 20 seconds to clear, and as I've never been into cold showers I step out of the body jets line till they're hot - which isn't easy in a small shower cubicle.

Why do I get the feeling that you haven't used them Aquaheat; because although you're right on the principle, reality leaves a lot to be desired. They shoot out at a fixed size, and at a fixed height, and that's why they sting. If you had a vertical line of them, then you could turn around, and then they'd do the whole (upper as you say) body as you go, but too many of them lowers the pressure, and it becomes more of a car wash system.

I've got them on a thermostatic panel, and although the boiler is only 6 feet away from the shower, it takes about a minute for the water to get hot, so I stick my hand in the shower and turn it on, then step into it when the hot water comes through, but if I turn the control knob to the body jets, the cold water in the panel still takes about 20 seconds to clear, and as I've never been into cold showers I step out of the body jets line till they're hot - which isn't easy in a small shower cubicle.

Let me guess, a pre built cheapo panel jobbie that gets fitted onto the wall as one unit because it looked cool and it was cheap! Why do I get the feeling that you have never used a proper set up custom installed!!

Jon

Triton Unichrome panel given to me about 10 years ago as part of a testing program, so no idea how much it cost. Just had to install it, and then write an evaluation. Essentially, damn good apart from the body jets.

But as the thermostatic cartridge is on the blink, I'd be pleased to pick up any tips for it's replacement.

Minimum of 3 l/m each or 0.1bar increases to 0.2 for 2 jets

Jon

Thanks guys for the info, that means I could run at least 4 jets off my Glow-worm Ultimate 30c which is rated at 12.5l/m.

Feed would be from the thermostatic valve with diverters between the main overhead to the body jets. The Bristan valve that I'm thinking of using does control the flow so you can turn them down if they are hitting sensitive areas!!

I would run the jets on a loop like a ring main therefore each head would get the same flow.

The main control valve would be just inside the shower door so you can switch on without have to get under the shower heads.

Richard

Thanks guys for the info, that means I could run at least 4 jets off my Glow-worm Ultimate 30c which is rated at 12.5l/m.

Feed would be from the thermostatic valve with diverters between the main overhead to the body jets. The Bristan valve that I'm thinking of using does control the flow so you can turn them down if they are hitting sensitive areas!!

I would run the jets on a loop like a ring main therefore each head would get the same flow.

The main control valve would be just inside the shower door so you can switch on without have to get under the shower heads.

Richard

Not really four no. Your 12 l/m is total at a 35 degree rise. So if it comes in at 10 degrees from the mains you could run 12 l/m at 45 degrees in a perfect factory scenario.

You have missed the fact that you will have a shower head running too. That will be in the region of 7 to 15 l/m depending on valve, head and flow restrictors.

A combi is not the best to run off for this kind of set up. Bristan is a little forgiving in the specs but if you went for four you would need minimum 0.5 bar or at least 20 l/m for it to work anywhere near good.

Now I know you're on a combi then we can forget the bar figures. So the question is can you produce 20 l/m and heat it?

Nope. You could stretch to 2 heads and main shower (depending on valve and head) bit a combi will struggle and heaven forbid someone turns the tap on or the washing machine is on when the dishwasher is.

This is why we design stuff for our end users.

Get your flow rate and pressure measured first. You could get dynamic done too but Tony will explain that one to you.

Basically before you spend money on something you will probably be disappointed in get the basics checked first.

Jon

Triton Unichrome panel given to me about 10 years ago as part of a testing program, so no idea how much it cost. Just had to install it, and then write an evaluation. Essentially, damn good apart from the body jets.

But as the thermostatic cartridge is on the blink, I'd be pleased to pick up any tips for it's replacement.

Obvious not as:

1/ it's a triton (cheap tat)

2/ it's discontinued (wonder why?)

3/ The part number you need is 7993127

4/ You have just proved you have never use a real one, designed for purpose. That is a generic tat built for those that want a champagne shower environment on beer money. Try a proper one then make your mind up. Groupon do spa days for less than 30 notes, you could check theirs out.

Jon

See @Doggit this guy asks for help, is polite, gets help and still knows more than your twitchy Google fingers!

Good luck Richard need any more help just ask.

Jon

See @Doggit this guy asks for help, is polite, gets help and still knows more than your twitchy Google fingers

Lets try and quantify things Jon, Richard asked for opinions on the spray jets, and I replied on the experience that I had with the ones I've got, nothing more. It's very evident that you've got far more experience than I have, and I happily bow to that superior intellect, but I don't think that at any point I was rude or condescending in my approach. And he only showed his knowledge in the later posts, so exactly what is your problem with my approach.

The body jets that he's enquiring on are virtually identical to the ones I have, and you've only suggested I go on a spa break to see what they are really like, without suggesting a different setup, so the real problems seem to be coming from you, not me.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had some hudson reed bodyjets on a triple outlet shower valve. Performance was fine from a gravity fed system running off of a 3 bar pump. But as Doggit said, those initial few seconds (not the twenty he referred to) when you turn the jets on for the first time and the cold water flushes through the pipework, were never ideal. In the 2 years I had them, I used them on a handful of occasions. A nice gimmick, but not particularly useful. Given the extra pipework involved and requiring a more expensive valve, I didnt bother with them in the next bathroom I had done.

More brillant advice guys, thanks a lot. Perhaps I'll have a re-think about using body jets!!

I must admit I thought that you would use one or the other but not both head and body at the same time. Some diverters are purely this, one or the other, but whether they would be used as @fezster states is a good point. I guess it's one of those things that sounds good but in practice.......

You guys have mentioned the shower panel. These quite interest me especially as the installation is so much easier and you can get the whole unit off for cleaning and maintenance. Any recommendations on something of reasonable quality? If I went with Bristan thermostatic valve, diverters, body jets and overhead the cost is going to be around £450 to £500 plus the concealed plumbing bits and pieces. Is there anything in that price range that would be considered as good quality?

Richard

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back