Shower Booster Pump

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have recently purchased my first home in the UK ... a 1930's build. A few small things to sort out.

One of the small things is a Shower Booster pump that leaks ever so slightly and is noisy. I figured I would just replace it, but then got thinking ... do I actually need one?

So the question is:
- Can I bypass the pump to test the "normal" water pressure in the shower.
- If so, is it as simple as connecting the existing feed to the existing outlet of the pump for each of COLD and HOT water?
- If so, can I do that with some flexible 15mm pipe pieces?

Thanks
Victor

Sponsored Links
Most shower pumps are considered to be noisy and some people like to blasted with water whilst others don`t. You can do what you suggest depending on how the system is piped up, personally I think it will be a wasted exercise.

Can I bypass the pump to test the "normal" water pressure in the shower.
Yes
If so, is it as simple as connecting the existing feed to the existing outlet of the pump for each of COLD and HOT water?
Yes
If so, can I do that with some flexible 15mm pipe pieces?
this would defeat the purpose as you need to maximise flow when looking at the max you can get from a gravity system. You could use plastic and push fit just to jury rig it to test it out.

personally I think it will be a wasted exercise

Have to agree, a pump's been fitted for a reason. Showers, especially with modern made showers, are more suited to a reasonable pressure and flow, even if they state they are for low pressure.

Sponsored Links
Turn off the electricity supply to the pump ,and run the shower. That will give you an idea of what the performance will be without a pump.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back