Shower cable is short

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I’ve replaced my electric shower and the cable is around 5cm too short. It won’t reach the shower terminals. Should I introduce another set of terminal connectors in the shower unit?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Better not to introduce another joint in this wiring. Junctions in high-power applications can cause problems.

Is there a ceiling pull (or other) switch for the shower? Better to run a new length of cable from the switch.

Thanks @Taylortwocities. I can'y easily re-route a new cable as I have tiled the shower enclosure. This is self inflicted as I've left a very small entrance for pipe and cables in the tiles. I think I should extend this up as the cable entry is easier to have higher up on the shower unit.

Q. Can I use an angle grinder with the tile disc for this purpose in your opinion?

Sponsored Links
I have one of those multi tools too. Will await some further advice before I embark on this.

If you have spare tiles you should be able to remove the ones already stuck. A multitool with a carbide attachment should be able to remove the grout, so you can carefully remove the tiles.

Thanks @mikeey84. Can I cut it in situ do you think? The cut will be hidden once the shower unit is fitted on top.

Grinder with diamond disc will be fine for enlarging your access hole, just be careful you don't go too deep.
Avoid extra joints in the power cable if possible

I don't see why you cannot simply extend the cables. As long as the connectors used are rated for the current, are of good quality & are terminated properly, all will be fine.

Edit: as pointed out below, the connections should be within the shower unit itself or housed in a suitable junction box in an accessible location

Last edited:
Addendum to above- if your cable joint would be inside a 'dry' accessible part of the shower enclosure, proper terminal block etc then yes go ahead, low risk.
If the joint would be in the wall void then try v hard to avoid a joint, if no option then use maintenance free connectors (Wago?) and you must enclose the joint.

Update: I cut some of the tile (hidden behind shower unit) and was then able to pull the existing cable through. This avoided the need for any cable joins. Thanks again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back